Leasing advice confusion

I wonder how interested dealers are in special orders these days. Also, the price add-on would likely still apply, I bet.

The Hyundai dealer we use has 177 new vehicles and 308 used units in inventory.

A problem these days is cars showing up on dealer inventory when they’ve been pre-sold.

Ford advertises on line orders for specific vehicles. They tout 9 of their vehicles for this program at their website. I recall seeing ads a while ago for this.

That’s exactly what I have been doing for many years, and exactly what I will do regarding this potential purchase.

1 Like

Please post back with the ordering experience. That’s one of the vehicles high on my list.

Will do!
My visit on Saturday is to–hopefully–sit in an NX, in order to see how well my posterior fits in that slightly smaller (compared to my Outback) vehicle, and to find out if that dealership is really not adding “ADP” to the sticker price.

Essentially any 2022 NX will do for my posterior “test”, especially since their plug-in hybrid is rarely–if ever–found in dealer’s stock. However, for various reasons, I am not placing an order right now, and my plan is to place a special-order in July, for a 2023 model.

And, since Toyota–like many other car companies–has ceased operations in Russia, hopefully that will divert some parts to its other factories where the NX is made!

These are all the automakers that have pulled out Russian operations | TechCrunch.
:+1:

My gut feeling is what they tell you on the phone is going to be different when you arrive on the lot… :wink:

As the VW factory rep told me once; dealers can charge whatever they want over the MSRP. They cannot charge less than the real MSRP. That is why the MSRP stated by the dealer can be whatever they want it to be at any given time.

A couple of years ago a Chrysler dealer had ads on the radio here advertising “28,000 dollars off of MSRP”.
Seriously, how could anyone believe that unless they were referring to that totalled out Intrepid on the back lot.

No doubt about that. However, their website has the following verbiage:
and we believe in giving you a fair price, so we will never charge above the MSRP.

Of course, when I get there, they could tell me that they just changed their policy that day, so I am prepared for some BS along those lines. But, because they are located very close to a religious shrine that I like to visit, at least the trip won’t be a complete waste of time if the statement on their website is bogus.

That’s a great promise, but I wonder how they keep anything in stock? There’s the argument that by doing that they’re not going to be able to provide cars for their regular customers.

I also wonder if they make up for it a bit by adding on dealer options. You’ll see.

Are MSRP and the price on the window sticker the same thing? Because they can definitely take less than sticker.

1 Like

Let’s stick with ‘MSRP = factory window sticker price’, or we’ll get WAY in the weeds.

Using that, cars sell above and below the factory MSRP, which the dealer can’t change.

1 Like

That’s how I’ve always understood and referred to those two terms.

1 Like

Not to be confused with “invoice” which can be misleading too given holdbacks. Like everything else, the bottom line is what you will pay regardless of any piece of paper.

I wonder if the same will be holding true for the big trucks and SUVs right now.
I remember back when the gas nearly topped out at $4/gal in 08 here, the local Chevy dealership had a giant sticker on the windshield of a brand new Suburban that read $10,000 off sticker.

… which could have been BS, in order to lure customers through the door.
:thinking:

I hope so. Only way I’d be able to stomach buying one.

There is a huge markup on trucks. If that was a loaded 4WD Suburban High Country selling for more than $90,000 MSRP, $10,000 of isn’t shocking.

I didn’t bother to go look at the sticker, just knew it was atleast a $50k vehicle to begin with.