Learning the Interstate Highways

I am much into geography right now and I spent a lot of time building a website about this topic.

And I made a quiz that helps learning the most important Interstate Highways in the US:

https://geographyquiz.app/quiz/usa-interstate-highways/120

As someone from Germany (you know, driving on the Autobahn…) I wanted to ask you guys if this quiz is somehow useful for you? I know everyone has a navigation system in his car. But still I think knowing the major roads in the country helps with orientation.

1 Like

Nice job!

There are some people who can’t even read maps since they’ve become so dependent on GPS devices. Modern computers are great but it never hurts to have some rudimentary knowledge as a backup if technology ever fails you.

4 Likes

Do you not realize just how large the United States of America is . Also not everyone has GPS in their vehicle . I have no need to know what interstate highways are in the East coast because I will never go there . All I need is directions for places not on the interstate and Google maps will do that for me . If I want to leave Tulsa , OK and go to Chicago , Ill signs will point me to St. Louis , Mo. and from there to Chicago .

What is the prize if someone Aces the test ?

1 Like

The size of the country is a thing indeed! Maybe I should make a few road quizzes for individual states in the future.

The price for acing the quiz is some knowledge. Like learning all the US states.

1 Like

Pre Covid I would travel on business all over the country. Fly into an area then rent a car. It’s always good to know the area and major roads.

3 Likes

Interstates:
North - South. Odd numbered Lowest number West Coast I-5, East Coast I-95
East-West. Even numbered Lowest I-10 in the Southern tier states( I-4 doesn’t count, only within Florida) Highest I-94 in the Northern tier states.

Old spell check changed a few word!

6 Likes

Nope, I-8 in southern NM/AZ/CA

2 Likes

I didn’t look that far!

1 Like

My mistake, starts in AZ, goes to CA, not in NM.

1 Like

Does Hawaii count? 1,2 and 3 are listed as Interstate Highways.

2 Likes

The old joke, “Why does Hawaii have Interstate highways?”

2 Likes

I had the same thought. I believe the reason is they are built to “interstate” standard’s. I could be wrong, would not be the first time.

Missing is a recent addition, almost entirely in Wisconsin: I-41. It is essentially the same route as US 41, from just south of the border with Illinois north to Green Bay. Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, Oshkosh, Appleton, etc. are along that route.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, you forgot the short I-97 in Maryland and the out-of-position I-99 in Pennsylvania and New York.

2 Likes

I confess not looking at the quiz. Knew most of the very well organized rules of the system and exceptions since I was 17. YouTube has a video on all of this. I like the practice freeway in St. Paul or the test freeway in Illinois. I remember Ike too. Kids have some catching up to do.

2 Likes

+1
NJ was perhaps the last state to get its full allotment of interstate highways, but I vividly recall riding in my father’s car when I-287 was first opened to traffic (1964??), and because not very many people were even aware that it had been opened to traffic, it was almost devoid of cars and trucks. It was a really nice experience after getting used to traffic nightmares like Route 22.

And that there are 2 I-84’s
Oregon - Utah 769 miles long

and

Pennsylvania–Massachusetts 232 miles long

1 Like

Hi Deroman:
Nice job creating those quizzes. I’m a believer in understanding geography without having to always lean on GPS.

2 Likes

Maybe Hawaii should call them intrastate highways.

I-97 isn’t just only in Maryland, it is entirely in Anne Arundel county.

Because they pay for them. Interstate highways get federal funding that other roads don’t.
Alaska and Puerto Rico have some too. They have their own numbering, prefixed with A and PR, H for Hawaii.

And it’s the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways - they’re for use in defense, too.

So do I. He thought they were going to be in rural areas, not cities, was surprised when he saw 66 being built.