Leaks from roof rack on 2011 Traverse-what potential/future problems could result?

I’ve heard some hilarious imitations of listeners’ car trouble sounds, but my problem was revealed through a reoccurring odor …
A really bad smell like sour milk or a decaying animal in my 2011 Traverse (purchased last Christmas) prompted investigation. Discovered saturated foam in wells of seating track, saturated carpeting on floor of passenger compartment, and condensation on rubber underside of floor mats. When I called dealership for appointment, service department asked if my Traverse had a luggage rack. Car was in the shop for 5 days, picked up yesterday. Service invoice reads, “A water leak in the rear seat and runs thru the 3rd seat. Cause: found both front cowls and both door panels leaking. Resealed.” The invoice continues to describe labor performed - “Had to remove front drivers, front passenger, 2nd and 3rd row seating along with the trim and center console in order to remove carpeting. Upon removal gave to Water Doctor for diagnosis and repair. Water Doctor found both front cowls and both door panels leaking. He resealed and repaired leaks. Once leak was repaired vehicle was returned for interior installation. Reinstalled vehicle’s console, seats and trim.” No mention of cleaning performed, but husband stopped in on day 4 and got to see what the interior shell of the car looks like - he said the metal looked clean & dry, and no visible ‘black mold’ or discoloration on the white foam underside of flooring. Have to return the car to service department on Monday, because installation poorly done (gaps/bubbling in carpet, foam visible in areas, long scratches & dings on plastic interior components, third row not installed properly). I want to cry! Doesn’t feel like a new car anymore. My kids are sitting in that passenger compartment. What potential problems could arise from water damage in the interior while the car sat baking in the driveway during those hot summer days until the water under the floor mats was discovered? What other damage could result from those leaks down the road with this car?

Just my personal opinion, but I think that any wet carpeting, matting, or soft interior trim should have been replaced under warranty. Sometimes getting rid of potential mold and odor problems on something like this can be very, very difficult to do.

Now you’re into an area where things are damaged due to some outside company’s carelessness and normally that is not a warrantable issue; at least where GM is concerned. The dealer may have to be on the hook for the cost of any repair.

At this point I would be firmly polite and advise the dealer that you’re not happy about what happened and that you expect it to be redone at either GM’s expense or theirs. It doesn’t matter who; just sort it out PDQ.