Launch Control Officers (LCOs)

I suppose if we had had a confirmed launch from Russia of their nuclear arsenal, the only decision at that point would be whether we would choose to wipe out most of humanity on the planet or just let the USA be toast and some people on the other side of the world survive.

Because a retributive strike wouldn’t stop most of the USA from being incinerated, it would only depopulate the Earth further and add more of a radiation and nuclear winter burden to whoever managed to survive. It would take centuries for the Earth to be even reasonably habitable afterwards for humans, at least if you consider a world where people have safe food, water, and a reasonable lifespan with few birth defects to be the definition of habitable. To say nothing of weather that’s tolerable.

Fortunately the cold war is over. Now the only worry is that some emerging third-world nation will get the materials and knowledge together and build a nuke, and subsequently decide to use one of their toys or let it be sold or fall into the hands of some ambitious terrorist. Like a toddler getting hold of your cigarette lighter and wandering around the house flicking it by the drapes.

@meanjoe75fan…Rest assured that the Air Force culls out any sleepers in their ranks pretty quickly. They have drills all the time that tests for this. The LCO’s who don’t turn their keys…won’t be sitting behind a launch control panel for very long. During these “drills” they have no idea whether or not that it’s a drill or a real world situation.

@RandomTroll…“Mr. missileman: cartalk.com describes this forum as a place to discuss
all the topics of the day.”

Well…if that’s true then you’ve got me there. I have to assume since the name of the forum is CarTalk…they are talking about automotive topics. This was a lively discussion so I appreciate that you started it. I was part of the nuclear strike community for 20+ years and I never thought that I would see anything related to that world discussed on an automotive forum.

Final comment: MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) will only work if both sides are convinced that either side will destroy the other. So far…no nuclear war has started which is a testament that the theory works. If you turn the key and it results in your total destruction…there’s not much need to turn the key. @mountainbike…thanks for your comments.

Interesting reading here.
I believe Mr. Random posted this topic here because he’s seen that all of us regulars are MUCH more than just car guys and can offer an astounding bredth and depth of insight and opinion on a wide list of subject matter.
I’ve always known this.
And this proves that point.

The opinions of all who post here are quite welcome on any subject…in my opinion.

I started the topic hoping that someone knew the name of that LCO’s memoir. I’m unsurprised by the discussion it stimulated and count on the participants having participated because they wanted to - hence enjoyed it.

The moderator(s) blocked at least 2 posts - whatever that means.

Blocking posts…I consider that a badge of honor…for what it’s worth @Random.

Mr missileman: cartalk.com describes this forum as a place to discuss the issues of the day, not just cars.

I read the Barthelme story when it was published. It tipped me to look up information about LCOs. At least back then (the '60s) the AF didn’t accept volunteers for LCO duty, didn’t accept men (they were all men) who had wives or children, didn’t let them re-enlist, didn’t assign men the AF wanted to keep in the AF: not the cream of the service. There was a draft back then: the AF had enough officers, many of them unpromising prospects for a military career, to shunt the marginal into a dead-end - no slight on the AF or the LCOs.

An old lady in church bragged that a nephew had a really important job in the AF: he was responsible for launching the nuclear missiles. I kept my counsel.

Mr missileman: cartalk.com describes this forum as a place to discuss the issues of the day, not just cars.

I read the Barthelme story when it was published. It tipped me to look up information about LCOs. At least back then (the '60s) the AF didn’t accept volunteers for LCO duty, didn’t accept men (they were all men) who had wives or children, didn’t let them re-enlist, didn’t assign men the AF wanted to keep in the AF: not the cream of the service. There was a draft back then: the AF had enough officers, many of them unpromising prospects for a military career, to shunt the marginal into a dead-end - no slight on the AF or the LCOs.

An old lady in church bragged that a nephew had a really important job in the AF: he was responsible for launching the nuclear missiles. I kept my counsel.