Key ignition vs starter button

Well, I guess that wasn’t a popular option in my area

I’m a fleet mechanic, yet we don’t have any with that particular configuration

I bought a Ford Ranger in 03 as the s10 not sure what engine, was seriously under powered in my estimation during a test drive, could not imagine towing my boat with that chevy. 2wd is fine on a concrete launch.

You must have test driven the S10 with the 4 cylinder

Because the 4.3 V6 was quite sufficient, when it was installed in the S10, not so much when it was installed in the Silverado

BTW . . . what engine did your Ford Ranger have?

4.0 SOHC?

3.0 OHV?

The 2.8L was a gutless wonder and my S-10 pickup and Blazer both had that engine. The pickup had a 5 speed and got great fuel mileage while the Blazer had a 700r4 and burned as much as a 5.0L c1500. I regret selling the pickup now that I no longer have a boat to tow. I made several 300 mile round trips and got 28mpg.

I don’t think they’re particularly unusual, at least not in the Seattle area I moved from earlier this year. That’s where this one is.

It was a nice truck. Kind of high on the miles, but it was a salesman’s truck, not a parts hauler, and it was maintained by a professional shop with parts supplied by the wholesaler. Front end had the usual suspects renewed already, body was straight and clean, and my buddy bought it for a song. 4.3 with automatic and A/C, nice little truck.

Actually it was returned to him before he knew it was gone. Stolen from his house, an hour later police saw it in a suspicious place and suspects fled on foot. Police called my friend at 3AM to say his truck had been stolen and found and could he come get it. They didn’t even have time to jack the stereo out of it.

2 Likes

Must have been the 2.3 4 cyl ford with a manual trans, and yes the s10 was a 4 cyl as I recall.

Glad to hear your neighbor got his truck back so soon

Hopefully no damage was done in the short time it was gone

They sell remote starters for most modern vehicles these days, some are even factory made. If your car had that option, you should still be able to get one for your car, then the only thing you’ll have to deal with is remembering to turn the heater up before you shut the car off for the night.

I had 2 trucks stolen in one night. One was a 77 F150 that had been wrecked on the passenger side. It was ugly and I always though not worth stealing. Back when gas was $4/ gallon they stole the truck and siphoned all the gas out of the 20 gallon tank and stole the ash tray. The other truck stolen that night was a 88 Ford ranger. They siphoned the gas and stole the ash tray on that truck as well. I believe that they were both taken via tow truck. The Ford Ranger had just got the entire front end rebuilt and I had not installed the front brake lines thus there were no function brakes. I got them both back the next day with no more damage than when they were stolen. Just missing about $100 in fuel and two ash trays.

A Mexican. Seriously. There are special import rules for older small pickups for those living in rural areas. S-10 is a hot item, and so is the Ranger. They can get even body parts for those old pickups.

It is getting harder to sneak them into Mexico. The same rules which forced me to take my 2002 back and leave it in Texas also makes it harder to get an S-10 in without the correct ownership papers.

I have driven to Austin every spring for the past 10 years and seen the ‘drive one tow one’ parades of small pickups @irlandes, but the parades have gotten smaller and fewer. And the Toyotas and Rangers seemed to be the most popular models. But as I have said, in this hick town the crooks are stealing the models that are trendy in this area of the state which means fully loaded Tundras, Tacomas, Rams and F150s. Of course the ATVs are the biggest movers.

My 2015 Cherokee has the start/stop button. Personally I find it much more convenient. It is also tied into the door locks as there is no keyhole in the doors. I can unlock the door either by pressing the appropriate button on the fob, or by being within 5 feet of the car and just sliding my hand behind the door handle.

My 2005 Dakota had a key but it was a smart key (there was a chip in the fob that talked to the computer in the car). However, after about 9 years, the main fob I used wore out (something to do with the soldered parts inside) and that fob cost me $300.00 to replace.

I hated push button start…until I bought a car that has it. Now I love it. The car beeps loudly if you get out and close the door with the engine running so you have to be a moron to leave your car running. I would have to say that anyone who would leave a push button start car running would be just as likely to leave a “keyed start” vehicle running.

I love the fact that I never have to dig my key out of my pocket, especially in the winter. As a special bonus I NEVER have the annoyance of my keys swinging and jingling in the ignition. Given a choice I would always buy a car with keyless ignition now. This is no different than when I used to rail against power windows and door locks…until I owned them. Technology is always viewed suspiciously (especially when higher costs for repair and replacement are involved) but once we taste the benefits we often are won over to “The Dark Side”. You don’t know the POWER of the Dark Side.

1 Like

Complaining about a start button precisely fits the definition of a “first world problem.” I can hear it now:

“I’m so upset, because my keys fell out of my purse and went under the seat. That would never happen if it weren’t that darn start button!”

2 Likes

Our son’s car shut down while he was moving on the highway when his dog bumped the button with his nose - the dog rides in the back seat now, but it illustrates a risk with toggle action pushbuttons. One wants to be able to kill power in a runaway situation (preferably without losing steering or brakes). but it shouldn’t be easy for this to happen inadvertantly. Perhaps the start/stop control should have a locking component such as is used for shifting into reverse, perhaps a knob that needed to be depressed and then twisted.

You can’t turn the conventional key off with the shifter out of park. Seems unlikely that the soft button request would act differently. Perhaps there is actually something wrong with it?

Hey, life is hard. Just this morning the coffee shop had to refill the burr grinder so I had to wait 45 whole extra seconds for my venti caramel frappumochamericciato, AND they were out of Sumatran roast so I had to settle for Jakarta Blend, and then, to add insult to injury, they didn’t have any truffle-dusted whipped cream and so I had to get 75% cacao dusted whipped cream instead.

I… I just want this day to be over.

1 Like

The Camry hybrid I used to drive for work has such safeguards. It will only shut off if it is in park.

In that case what does a driver do when the throttle sticks?

Another reason I prefer MT.