Keeping My Car

I have a 2003 Taurus with 91,000 miles and it’s paid for. I want to keep it for another 91000+ miles. I have the money for giving the car a really good mid-life tuneup. What should I have done to the car?

The best thing to do is to follow the owners manual maintenance schedule. A lot of thought went into that little book and it’s the best guide for keeping your Taurus on the road for a long time. Make sure the transmission maintenance is taken care of because it’s overlooked by a lot of owners.

It doesn’t have a timing belt, so you can’t spend it there. When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? What about the brake fluid? Have you changed (or regenerated) the coolant? I don’t know what the spark plug interval is; check the owner’s manual. If you can get at the back ones without taking the engine off its mounts, do it yourself. If you do the plugs, change the wires, too. How are the struts holding up? What about tires? Speaking of tires, take the wheels off and check the suspension to see if any parts need to be replaced.

New spark plugs and filters: air filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid filter.

If only do one thing the most important is changing(not flushing) your transmission fluid besides regular oil changes.

My dad’s advice was to change all fluids regularly, fix problems immediately when they occur w/o waiting,including battery as it never improves, and buy a good radio that plays loudly to hide the noise of old age. The military taught me the driver is always responsible for fluid levels before you even start the car, regardless of who owns it. The basics will make your car long lived.

Agree, long car life is mostly good care and COMMON SENSE!!