Keep it or dump it?

Hi folks, I have a 2001 Toyota Camry that I bought in 2008. Two years later, I had to replace the engine. So I currently have 36,000 miles on the engine and now I’m getting the check engine light. I’m told an oxygen sensor needs to be replaced, but that might not take care of the problem. The codes are saying that the fuel mix is “running too rich.” It’s getting greedy with gas. The other things I need to take care of are the rear bushings (sp?) that affect handling of the car. New tires this summer. I’m wondering if I should do the minimum, and get rid of this car - my first Toyota - which I’m losing faith in. It’s a great size for toting around my large dog in the backseat, but the A/C isn’t very powerful in our hot summers and I’m starting to feel like I’m in a relationship where one of us is losing trust… what do you think?

The problems you have are all maintenance. Fix it and keep driving. BTW, what are the codes from the ECM?

I have a 2000 Camry with the V6. One of the weaknesses of Toyota’s of this era is they frequently have a CEL (check engine light) issue due to complicated emissions and evaporation control systems on these cars. I seem to get a CEL on my Camry at least once a year. How big a deal this is depends on the problem and the state inspection requirements of the state the car is registered in.

Most shops should be able to handle this problem for you, but sometimes you have to go to a Toyota dealer and pay the bucks to get it handled properly so the CEL stays off for awhile. I’d suggest you get some other opinions on your CEL and then decide what to do.

The rear bushings on my Camry have been making a “rattling” sound going over bumps for years. It isn’t a safety issue in my car. My son keeps a lot of junk in the trunk anyway so the rattling is covered up by other junk shifting around in the trunk. Get another opinion on how important the new bushings are in your case. If it is just noise you can decide if you can live with it or not.

$$ to fix your car or $$$$$$ to replace it.

Accordion

Replace the oxygen sensor and forget about the bushings, they will not be a problem and probably aren’t bad anyway. They tend to check (crack around the edges) but are solid in the centers where they need to be and will last 20 or more years.

It would help though if you would post the actual code (i.e. P0173 or something like that). You could have a different problem, like a leaky injector, bad fuel pressure regulator or bad MAF.

I have a toyota a carolla, I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

I love it so much I payed 3,000 dollars over book to buy another one just like it

when the first one stated stabbing me in the back and wallet.

@UC no offense, but what does your post have to do with anything?

OP has a 2001 Camry and is asking for advice about a specific problem.

And you’re talking about a Corolla that you payed “3,000 dollars over book to buy” after “the first one started stabbing . . . in the back and wallet”

Huh?!

You don’t say how many miles the car has on it. An oxygen sensor is not a big deal, on a 12 year old car it’s normal. That should solve the “running too rich” problem.

Bushings are also not a big deal, and on a 12 year old car worn bushings would be normal. I agree with Uncle T that a second opinion on the bushings is a good idea. Some shops will tell you they need replacing just based on age and surface cracking, and IMHO they’re fine as long as they’re still holding the parts together securely.

So, why did you need a new engine? If the fault was with other than the car itself (a fill plug left too loose or something like that), than it’s not realistic to hold it against the car.

Hey guys How do you figure that I’m the one “off topic” ??!!

@UC’s post is the one that doesn’t even have ANYTHING to do with OP’s questions.

But hey, keep flagging me.

This is good relaxation for me after a hard day’s work.