Just when you think you've heard everything--a view from behind the counter

I don't know why you are quoting others and attributing it to me.

I’m NOT…It seemed to me that Bing was arguing the point that You and or I were saying that nature had nothing to do with how a kid was brought up. Which I was trying to point out to him…that I never saw a post that you or said that. We both were saying (at least I think you are also saying) - that nurture had a great influence of how a child developed. Nature surely has a factor…but it’s NOT THE ONLY FACTOR.

Carry on my good man ! I see now, guess I put a comma in that was never there, Oopps…like two bros in arms arguing with each other while going to war.

Yes to clarify I was saying that nuture is certainly important but nature also is a factor that sometimes nurture cannot overcome. Sometimes a good caring home can simply not overcome certain inborn characteristics. As brain studies improve it might be easier to pinpoint what genetic factors might influence things like narcissism, lack of remorse, lack of conscience, and other anti-social characteristics often found in the prison populations.

Well eugenics went out of vogue a while back,but certain types of people to tend to end up in similar situations.for the most part most prisoners (or a lot of them) tend to be selfish and trying to bluff thier way through thier period of confinement,buying into the prison myths for protection and security(the prison system has created a thriving subculture) the people that created the prison system still havent learned anything about what “correction” is,but instead have created a system that foments hate and ruins the character of a lot of people for minor infractions a lot of times,the bullying is beyond belief in some of these places and little attempt is made to segregate the nice people from the bullies,the system only exacerbates the bad tendencies in most Homo Sapiens,but guess what,some people enjoy thier mastery over the prison herds(I was in such an institution-that thank God, got shut down{the prison staff clique was horrible there}But you know what? there will be little reform,simply because there is so much money to be made off of the prison system by the good captalists(do a little checking you will amazed ,the names that pop up) I’ve been told that, in good old Virginny,prisoners(not “inmates” for pitys sake) are worth $30,000 a year,not bad when you consider each lousy meal costs around 40 cents and most of the crumbling infrastructure is already in place and slave labor does most of the work-Kevin

Re: Nature vs nurture. Read many years ago that scientists tracked down and studied the life styles of adult/identical twins who were separated at birth and adopted into widely divergent socio/economic families and it turned out that the twins had remarkably similiar lives, e.g. drove the same kind of cars, had similiar kinds of occupations, etc. Right now, I think a persons character, personna,intellect, etc. is 75% nature and 25% nurture. BTW, while on the topic of genetics, I’ve always wondered why if you see on tv a flock of starlings or a school of mackeral, they are all the same size! Why is that humans of the same sex/age are so different in size? Does it have to do with the fact that homosapiens have not been around long enough to fully intergrate and are still evolving? Do we need a few millions more years for our genes to fully become homogenized?? Just curious…

There’s a fun story a parts guy I know told me. A jerk of a husband decided to play a joke on his car-challenged wife. He sent her in to the parts store for a muffler bearing. She went in, they explained to her that she’d been had. So she had them grab some busted old part they were gonna throw away, box it up, and print up an invoice for a muffler bearing for something like $1,000.

She brought it home, showed him, and he of course flipped out, and went straight down to the parts store to give them a piece of his mind, utterly confused that they were laughing so hard while he yelled. When they finally managed to explain, he got so embarrassed that he went out and bought them a case of beer to make up for it.

@MikeInNH

My uncle had an assistant back in the old days of 5 1/4 floppies. He gave him a disk and asked him to type a label for it. Got the disk back and it was completely unreadable, and made a very strange noise as the drive spun. He figured it was just a bad disk, grabbed another blank, saved his data, and gave it to the assistant. It came back unreadable again.

So he decided to watch the assistant this time, and stared as the assistant rolled the disk into the typewriter and started banging away. :wink:

This is my third attempt to post this comment.

I hope no one is offended by my posting a story from the other side of the counter. Of course it also involves the person behind the counter so I will proceed. In 1990 our 1985 Ford Crown Victoria 302 cu in developed a squirting leak behind the water pump. I was familiar with this leak as small block Fords with the sheet metal cover on the back of the water pump would rust through with a pinhole causing exactly this kind of leak. I went to the local NAPA store to purchase a new water pump. I gave the employee on the other side of the counter the make, model. and year of the vehicle. He did a little tapping on the computer then produced the part. For some reason I peeked inside the box and stated “this is not the correct part”. It was a water pump for a 351C/351M! They are very different! The idiot (who had probably been schooled by even more idiot management} to never consider a customer stating the computer is wrong. This was not some pimply faced kid he was probably 40+. I had a 351 Cleveland and had replaced the water pump and 289 302 pumps. In fact I had my 1971 Mustang MACH 1 in the parking lot and I offered the idiot the opportunity to see what a 351C water pump looked like. He refused still stating that the computer was always right. I should have just went somewhere else but felt like I had to educate this moron. I offered to go home, remove the pump and show him the difference. It worked to my advantage. When I removed the pump I discovered the leak was a small hole in the short hose on the top. Hose and 2 new clamps plus gaskets was about $5. I have never returned to that or any other NAPA store.

Must have been 5 years ago, I wanted a dwell meter for my 65 100 hp evinrude, To guy at the counter Do you have a dwell meter? Wow I have never heard of that but we have an old guy in back, maybe he will know what you are talking about. Sorry we quit selling those 10 years ago.

I pulled into the parking lot of a (now defunct) auto parts store when I was 17 or so with my car steaming badly. The top radiator hose had split near the hose clamp connection. I was met with an obstinate guy in his 20s that also subscribed to the philosophy that the “book is always right” and produced a radiator hose that looked like it may have fit a Russian tractor, but definitely wasn’t even close to fitting my vehicle. When he refused to accept that it wasn’t right and wouldn’t come outside to look, I yanked what remained of the hose off the car and dropped it on the counter. He was able to match it up with the correct part, and he was surprised to find (I was not) that a couple of digits in the part number were misprinted in the book. Amazing.

"Why is that humans of the same sex/age are so different in size? Does it have to do with the fact that homosapiens have not been around long enough to fully intergrate and are still evolving? Do we need a few millions more years for our genes to fully become homogenized?? "

@hardt- There is no such thing as “fully integrated”. Of course, we are still evolving! No species is ever “finished”. Some stay like they are for much longer than others, but that is because of a lack of environmental pressure to evolve. We have more varied looks than other species because there isn’t enough environmental pressure to look the same. (we’ll have sex with anybody). Evolution isn’t just the survival of the fittest. It’s the survival of the fittest and the horniest.

BTW, since all animals have descended from the same one-celled entities, we have all been evolving for the same length of time, just at different rates (again, because of differing environmental pressures).

If we all evolved from the apes, why are there still apes? :slight_smile:

Sorry guys, couldn’t resist…

If we all evolved from the apes, why are there still apes?

Probably because we didn’t evolve from Apes…but from a species that both Apes and man evolved into.

Now, talk about a topic taking a screeching swerve tangent spin…this could go on forever on this evolutuon stuff.

so , I’ll bite.
( in my opinion )
there are still apes…and fish for that manner, because God’s means of creation is to create a ‘‘limited edition’’ ( temporary mutation ) of celular changes in order to produce the next generation , ie: ape 2.0. etc
Yes…I said evoloution and creation are one and the same. Think about it.
Creation is the summary of what’s happening.
Evolution is the means.

– argue on…

Creation is philosophy…NOT SCIENCE. Evolution is Science because Evolution is observable and testable. Creation is NOT.

Has anybody ever considered that we, as a species, may be an evolutionary dead end, like Homo Erectus and Neanderthal?

Homo Erectus was around for well over 1 million years. We’ve got a long way to go

Who knows what will happen in the next million years?

The funniest one I have heard was a list of various calls to tech support for various companies like Gateway computers, General Motors, among several others. The computer ones are always classics but the GM call had to take the cake.

The one for GM was a support hotline for service after you buy a new car. One customer had purchased a car and it quit running after like 2 weeks. They went through several troubleshooting steps until they found that the customer had no clue that the car needed gasoline to run. The support person told them that they would need to have the car filled up with gasoline before it would run again, then it would need to be filled up periodically in order to stay running and not strand the owner. This was all told with a straight face and no laughing.

On Evolution,not going there,while we have an animal body,our minds are unique,God made us the way he wanted-Kevin

Who’s to say that if God exists, that he (it) didn’t choose evolution as the method to accomplish his creation? If Earth and humanity suddenly emerged out of nothingness with God not showing his work on the long division, then what was the whole Big Bang and elements heavier than helium being formed when stars go nova, and dinosaur bones in the Earth’s crust for that matter, just window dressing?

I’m less concerned with how we got to be the way we are than with how much God must love stupid people. (after all, he created so many of them) And with the whole point of being here at all, for that matter, if you want to get philosophical about it…

There are an estimated 400 billion stars in our galaxy. It’s now believed that almost all of them have planetary bodies. There are trillions of galaxies in the universe. And the current “multiverse” theory suggests countless universes. It also suggests countless “big bangs” have been and continue to happen since time began. The process of physics/chemistry that caused us to evolve has been going on continuously since the beginning of time. We, humans, just popped up barely this morning in the continuum of time.

I respect those with religious beliefs, however I believe it strains credibility to think we’re “unique”. Physic is a constant throughout the universe(s). The same physics applies everywhere. Always has. Whatever combination of things that caused us has, I believe, happened countless times before, continues, and will happen for all time, over and over, forever.

It strains my brain to think we’re “unique”. Please, if you’re religious, do not take this in an offensive manner. It’s only an expression of my personal beliefs, nothing more.

On Evolution,not going there,while we have an animal body,our minds are unique,God made us the way he wanted-Kevin

That’s a belief…and NOT science. Can’t prove it either way. If you believe that humans didn’t evolve…then you’re ignoring science. Which is fine. That’s your belief.