Junkyard

@db4690, the quakes in OK are not caused by fracturing no matter what the news stories or the signs being held by protestors may say. It’s blamed on salt water disposal wells.

http://earthquakes.ok.gov/faqs/

Seismologists are currently at work still studying this problem. They’ve got testing equipment set up everywhere around my part of the state. While the oil field may get the blame that is nothing more than an educated guess. Other geologists feel these quakes are due to movement caused by the New Madrid formation. The latter are not getting much face time on TV.

And yes, OK has had earthquakes for who knows how long. There was a series of quakes back in the early 1800s and randomly since; and also believed to have been caused by the New Madrid formation.

@ok4450

Sorry, but that doesn’t wash, as far as I’m concerned

How come all these earthquakes weren’t being reported in the 80s and 90s, if they were so prevalent?

Why are you bringing up earthquakes in the early 1800s . . . we’re talking about recent history

at least I am

I will never agree with you

And I don’t expect you to agree with me or change my mind, either

I think we can agree on this, though . . . whatever “side” you choose to be on, you can find plenty of experts with degrees and certifications up the wazoo, to back you up

If you can’t agree with that, then you may just be naive

I haven’t been to a junkyard in a long time, but I’ve seen a few episodes of “Junkyard Empire” on TV. In one episode, they bought one of those “processing” machines mentioned upthread that automatically drains all the fluids from a car. Impressive machine. They also bought a giant environmentally friendly parts washer. It looks like it uses steam, or heated fluid.

@OK4450 - I take it you actually didn’t read the article??

Direct quote from the Article…

“In Oklahoma, the oil and gas is being extracted from wells with a high water to hydrocarbon ratio. Boak estimates that for every barrel of oil that can be produced, operators are left with 10 to 15 barrels of wastewater. That leaves a big disposal job that continues through the life of the well, long after drilling and hydraulic fracturing are complete. For years, in Oklahoma, operators had been injecting that wastewater into the Arbuckle Group, which is the deepest sedimentary rock unit in most of Oklahoma. Over time, the steadily increasing volume raised the pressure in the Arbuckle and in the deep basement, where most of the active faults lie, causing earthquakes.”

“Experts say there is an important distinction to be made between saying that hydraulic fracking causes earthquakes and saying that the disposal of fracking wastewater causes earthquakes.”

In essence - Fracking is NOT causing earthquakes. It’s the disposal of the high pressure salt water from the fracking process that’s causing it. Kinda splitting hairs isn’t it.

@ok4450 The article you linked indicates the quakes are caused by wastewater disposal, no fracking no wastewater disposal, looks like a smoking gun to me.
Fact 1: Fracking is NOT causing most of the induced earthquakes. Wastewater disposal is the primary cause of the recent increase in earthquakes in the central United States.

We’ve got 3 left in our city and one is a pick your part type. They make you sign elaborate waivers before letting you remove anything. Agree that many things violate OSHA and environmental regs.

Yard #3 however has a metal recycling facility attached to it, and it removes refrigerant, coolant, gas tanks, etc, and then chops up the cars and neatly piles the shredded metal up for shipment. It gets the carcasses of the other two yards when nothing is left to pick. It also burns off the “fluff” such as seats and other non metal materials.

I always thought the prices for used parts from a junkyard were high until I found out that they had two prices:. one for businesses and another for the general public. The seats were worn in my old Rambler and I wanted individually adjustable front seats. The price I was quoted was $50. The mechanic at the service station where I traded said he had a way I could get them for half that amount. He called the yard, got a price of $25. He then said he was sending Bud out to pick them up. He also got prices on other parts he needed. He then bad me put on a jacket that had “Bud” above the left front pocket and bad the Sunoco insignia on the back. I then took the service truck and went out to the junkyard to pick up the parts. I then became Bud. It was a good deal. I saved the mechanic time and got my seats at half price at a time when money was tight for us.

There’s one salvage yard in MA…They basically take the vehicles apart and then warehouse all the parts on-site. Parts cost more because of labor to remove parts for you. But it’s pretty cool…very well organized.

Bow Auto Parts does the same thing. The only things in the yard are the largely-bare Unibodies, parts damaged and not reusable, and the left over carcasses from body shops buying “clips”. For the uninitiated, a “clip” is a whole portion of the unibody cut free to reattach to another car for repair. Body shops often do this.

Junkyard Empire takes place in the Baltimore/Washington metro area. It is surprising to me that they can exist in this area, but they do restore vehicles in addition to picking the useful parts off the vehicles they buy. I don’t think they could exist in their present location if they didn’t have the restoration and associated auto sales business.

I used to deal with a great junkyard, or more accurately, recycler in Ohio. Walt’s. They were the type that takes in a car, drains, strips, catalogs and warehouses the parts. Nothing over about 10 years old. If they said they had your part, they did and could go straight to it. No muss, no fuss but you paid for that. But there was no wasted trips like most of the tobacco-chewing, knuckle-dragger placesthat always said they had your part just to get you there.

Local Pick-ur-part in Florida is an EPA and OSHA nightmare. The cars get turned and shredded very quickly. It has been good for small parts for my wife’s Saab as they always have a couple in the yard. Another local Puck-ur-part looks to be far better, cleaner and safer. I may stop by Tuesday for a look.

You can recycle cars the right way and the wrong way. “Wrong way” doesn’t deserve to be in business.

@db4690, while regrettable that you had to resort to a bit of name calling I will say this on my position about quakes in OK. I read and see many reports on TV about this issue and I guarantee you that the premise of oil fields being behind the quakes is not 100% definite.

This issue is being investigated by the OK Corp. Commission, the University of OK, and the OK Geological survey. The investigation’s purpose is to find the truth.

The bulk of the quakes run from around north OK City up through where I live and into KS. There’s a long fault line along that route and according to the OGS they are still discovering and mapping fault lines.

Note that there are very few quakes in NW and SW OK but there has been intense drilling there.
So that brings up the point of why no quakes there. OIl companies have been fracking and disposing of salt water here for 60 years.

Just a quick cut and paste from a professor of Seismology about the quake issue…

“These things wind up becoming a political football almost more than a legitimate concern,”

Local news always puts a positive on any issue…especially environmental. For decades when I lived in the Syracuse area they never talked about how polluted Onondaga lake really was. Then some national report came out and showed us it was thee most polluted lake in the US and one of the top 3 in the world. Even then local news tried to discredit the report. Finally they came to their senses and started admitting there actually was a problem with the lake.

@ok4450

Name calling?

What are you talking about . . . ?!

Nobody mentioned any bad words, let alone 4-letter words

The worst term I used was “naive” . . . not very strong language in my book :wink:

I suppose we can all rest easy, knowing that we are right, and the other guy is wrong :smirk:

I remember the Genesee beer ads that said "Brewed with the crystal clear water of Hemlock Lake!"
They dropped it when someone found old bicycles and other trash in the lake!

The only GOOD beer Genesee ever produced was their Creme-Ale.

It’s all a matter of taste. I like the smoky flavor of National Bohemian beer, but many folks don’t care for Natty Boh. It is also an institution around here. Steamed crabs and a Natty Boh. That’s the good life.

@Docnick

I thought hemlock was poison . . . ?!

:trollface:

I don’t know who named this lake Hemlock Lake in the dim past, but it was probably surrounded with hemlock trees. It’s in upstate New York.

Now to keep it car related