Jeep E-brake trouble

A few years ago, my dad’s 1998 Jeep Cherokee’s Emergency Brake broke. The button flew off (to which he then lost it and never replaced) and now when you lift the brake, it stops the car- but the moment you let go of the brake, the entire handle falls down and the car begins rolling again. I’m supposed to use his car for a driving test soon and need to get the brake fixed. When I lift the handle, it doesn’t make any noise. It’s not hard to lift, but it’s not incredibly loose either. It works and stops the car, but the moment I move my hand, it doesn’t stay up on its own. Do I just need a new lever/ and handle mechanism? Or could it be another issue as well?

I’d try to locate a replacement from a U-Pull-A-Part/junk yard.

Tester

1 Like

They only checked bulbs,wipers and turn signals not ebrake for my daughters test

1 Like

It’s been almost 60 years so can’t remember. I’m sure I used it though when I had to get out and clear the snow off the rear window. There must be a ratchet in the handle there somewhere.

1 Like

Suggest you search YouTube for a video on replacing the handle/ratchet assembly. Then, af you want to do the job yourself, as Tester suggested, go to a junkyard and pull the required parts,

1 Like

Is this the only family vehicle ? If so it needs to be fixed period . There is a good chance that the driver test person may concider using the parking brake important.

1 Like

Yes, it is the only car unfortunately. It’s been broken for around 5 years now and whenever I ask my dad- and offer to pay for it to be fixed- he gets incredibly defensive and refuses. This has been an ongoing battle, so I’ve decided to just do it myself without telling him. Where I live, the last thing they make you do during the driving test is set the parking brake, and I’m afraid if the brake drops and the car lurches- they’ll fail me on the test.

Every state is different, here in Washington they will do a pre-trip inspection of the car to make sure everything works, lights, seat belts, parking brake, wipers and washers and that you have current registration, insurance and learners permit.

If anything is wrong, test is over before you even get to drive.

1 Like

That is essentially how it works in NJ also, but I’m not sure about them checking the wipers and washers.
However, they definitely test the parking brake.

Whether it’s part of the test procedure or not, still a good idea to repair the parking brake problem. Gives you extra safety when parking on incline, and less stress on transmission’s parking pawl (presuming you have automatic trans).

Given that the button flew off and is lost, advice above to secure a replacement lever ass’y is sound. My 50 year old truck’s emergency brake lever mechanism developed this same symptom a while ago, but nothing broke or fell off. Turned out the ratchet mechanism had corroded & frozen up. A little de-rust treatment and lube is all it took to return the functionality.

1 Like

Well. looking at a video, I think I’d forget it and take your chance. Maybe just form a small block of wood to wedge the lever in place if you have to set it. The brake works right, just won’t stay engaged. Would I repair it myself now, sure. Would I have done it on my folks car when I was 16, nope.

There are other youtubes that might be better. This was just the first one that popped up.

1 Like

VDO points out this repair may involve air bag computer. On my Corolla no airbags, but the engine ECM is located in the area underside of the center console. Definitely want to take all steps necessary to avoid setting off airbags, damaging computers in the process of doing this repair. When I work in that area I disconnect the battery negative first. If OP new to vehicle repair , suggest to ask someone more experienced to help you with this job.

I can see having an air bag light on during a drivers test might be a lot worse than a parking brake. Air bags use capacitors though so just disconnecting the battery I don’t think will do it without discharging the capacitor.

The air bags are not involved in this repair.

Here’s how to replace the parking brake lever.

https://www.justanswer.com/jeep/6iit5-jeep-cherokee-limited-1998-jeep-cherokee-4wd-4-0l6-4speed.html

Tester

1 Like