Jasper engines vs other remanufacturers

I need an engine for my new (to me) 2010 expedition. I want to have a remanufactured long block dropped in.
How does Jasper compare to other companies? I’ve gotten quotes from Jasper, Accurate Engines, and Powertrain Products. I live near Portland Oregon; if shipping matters, I can drive a couple hundred miles to tote one back.
I looked for reviews online, but it’s hard to weigh that feed back. Manna from heaven can even get bad reviews (What? Free honey wafers from the sky again? Ugh! two stars.).
So, any other companies that remanufacture an 5.4L Triton engine for a 2010 Ford Expedition XLT?

The only two Jasper engines I installed were on my own vehicle, and a customer’s vehicle. No problem.

I now go with used engines.

Tester

Jasper used to have a poor reputation in the midwest 30 years ago. They seem to have recovered from that reputation. I helped a buddy drop a long block in his truck and the result was just fine…

Buying and installing a rebuilt engine can be a nightmare. If time and price didn’t matter I can build an engine equal to or better than factory original simply because I wouldn’t cut any corners. But as a rule I installed OEM crate engines and never had a problem. Often they were cheaper than Jasper. BTW, what has happened to Fred Jones?

As @Tester suggested a good(?) used engine is often the best option.

I have used Jasper engines for decades. Never had a bad one in all that time. That includes short and long blocks.

Besides Jasper, has anyone used any other remanufacturers?

can I ask why your 2010 needs an engine?

and if an engine design issue, have the manufactures you are shopping around with addressed those flaws? (I know some Ford engines had some serious issues with head bolts, for instance.)

1 Like

I’ve installed Gopher Engines.

https://mechanicadvisor.com/mn/minneapolis/gopher-engines

Tester

I installed quite a few engines from Auto Zone over the years and it was a “luck of the draw” situation. I had a good working relationship with them because I did their warranty work but while some of their suppliers were good some were questionable. I saw V-8s with miss matching heads, zero (-) valve clearence, poorly welded crankshaft journals and incorrectly timed. One ornery old man in St Louis built engines for A-Z and his work matched my best days.

Maybe someone here has some experience rebuilding OHC Ford V-8s and can successfully build one in flat rate time but I have never built one but comparing it to what I have built I wouldn’t take one on pricing the labor by the book.

The following link might be interesting to you, general info about engine replacement options. You might type in “Jasper” into the forum search bar here. I seem to recall folks saying their engines are pretty good. If I had that problem on a 2010 model I’d prefer a junkyard engine myself, from a wrecked expedition or compatible vehicle. If I couldn’t find one I’d see if Ford makes a new engine that’s compatible, a Coyote or similar. Ford has a division called Ford Performance or Ford Racing, something like that, that sells new engines I think. You might be able to shoe-horn in a new Chevy LS engine too. If you are set on a rebuilt engine though, from the comments I’ve seen here I think Jasper is a good choice. However I don’t have any experience with that company myself. Best of luck.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/358

Why would OP want to drop in a Chevy engine . . . ?! :confused:

That would just complicate matters, if he lives in a state with smog inspections

My daughter who lives 300 mile away needed an engine replaced in her Rav 4, 4 cylinder. So many of these went bad that used engines weren’t available. Her mechanic installed a Jasper engine. 3 of them actually, the first one burned oil like mad, the second one leaked oil right through the head casting, and the third one ran ok but the idle kept surging up and down to the point that she traded it in. Jasper replaced the engines free and her mechanic kept working for free but in the end, both her and her mechanic both wished she had dumped the car rather than replacing the engine.

1 Like

Something to be considered only if no other options were available, or OP wanted to take on a project as a hobby.

OP has a 2010 Expedition, not a classic or oddball vehicle

I’m assuming there are quite a few used, new and remanned engines available

Just saying . . .

No disagreement at all.

Real analysis is needed, First mechanic $2400 to replace the engine in my daughters saturn, 2003 with 80k, new exhaust, battery, exhaust manifold, brakes etc already done previously. Took it to my bud, a dealer mechanic that works at home, for $1180 he fixed everything, car runs like new, he said here were 4 problems and not sure which went first, plastic timing guide, oil injector or whatever. Valves were an issue did not even get into what else, but just noting 1 analysis is not necessarily the best analysis.

1 Like

I don’t want to buy a used engine, so I’ll go with a remanufactured engine. Or a new crate engine if I can find one.
A remanufactured engine:
Powertrain products $3450
Jasper $5100
Acurate Engine $4100
Jasper is higher, but for all I have heard, they are pretty reliable and they honor their warranty.
I am not really looking to beef up the performance or anything, jut put in an engine like it was born with. Compared to what I’ve been driving ('04 Vue, 210,000 miles), it will likely scare me.
So, even though a Jasper is higher that the others, the local authorized Jasper dealer/installer will drop it in for less labor than the others, so that more than evens out.
So, I’m probably going with a Jasper. I’ll tell you how it works out.

I concur, the Jasper vendor seems like the right choice. @db4690 above mentioned something important to determine first, before you make your final vendor/engine decision; i.e. take whatever amount of effort needed on the phone with the bureaucrats , etc, to make sure what you are intending to do will meet your state’s emissions testing requirements. You want to avoid the situation where your engine is finally installed and running like the well tuned & powerful machine it is, only to discover you can’t register & license your car b/c of some emissions equipment issue.

George,

You do realize that the emission controls aren’t controlled by the long block you purchase, but by the ancillary components attached to that long block?

Tester

Here’s three restrictions cited from California air resources board website.

• Must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

• If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then replacement must also be a California certified engine.

• All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

There’s probably more …