Its appalling

“Knives are allowed on aircraft now. Meanwhile, TSA is still confiscating Mickey Mouse snow globes because they have too much fluid.”

Can you show me a reference for allowing knives? TSA says that they are only allowed if they are plastic or round blade butter knives. Snow globes with 3.4 ounces or less of fluid are allowed in carry-on luggage. Of course, huge honking knives and snow globes are allowed as checked luggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#11

I always put my knife in my checked bag anyway but sharpen my pencil just in case I need it. My wife is still fuming that they confiscated her lady slipper cake server that she bought in an airport. Maybe someday we’ll be able to smoke in one of the bathrooms again.

"Can you show me a reference for allowing knives?"

Here it is:

Thanks. I wonder when it will take place? This isn’t on the TSA web site yet.

TSA started allowing pocket knives on aircraft, as well as sports equipment including golf clubs and baseball bats, as of April 25, 2013. It was all over the news.
Under pressure from the Flight Attendants unions the Director of the TSA announced that the ban would be reinstituted as of the end of June of 2013. You are correct that the ban was reinstituted.

The ban on Mickey Mouse globes is, however still in effect as of a few months ago as per an interview with the TSA Director on a television talk show. He was asked on the show about what they do with confiscated items. He himself commented unsolicited, sort of trying to lighten the mood, that they had thousands of Mickey snow globes in storage, as they exceeded the maximum fluid allowance. I wish I could remember more detail about the show, but I cannot.

They just keep making the crash tests harder and harder and if the Federal tests are not hard enough, the insurance institute comes up with even harder ones then criticize the car makers for not meeting tests that the cars were not required to be designed for.
When I started driving cars didn’t have seat belts and hitting anything of substance head on would surely kill you.
I have over 3 million miles of driving and have never hit anything head on and I still think the best safety feature is paying attention to your driving. To this day my wife complains that I never talk to her when I am driving, to which I give a terse " I’m busy ".

"To this day my wife complains that I never talk to her when I am driving, to which I give a terse " I’m busy ". "

Heh, heh, but they still manage to talk anyway in my experience. I always was used to driving alone and I have to say it is a distraction having someone else in the car.

"I still think the best safety feature is paying attention to your driving. To this day my wife complains that I never talk to her when I am driving, to which I give a terse " I’m busy “.”

Many people get upset because I don’t turn to look at them while driving. Sorry, I keep my eyes focused on my driving. Even at stoplights I rarely glance over at my passenger because I’m paying attention for idiots running red lights. That continued focus on other cars around me paid off a couple years ago at an intersection with stop signs. A very drunk kid ran the stop sign at low speed on the cross street, tried to turn, lost control, went up over the curb and was headed to crash into the front of my stopped car. A swift glance in my rear view mirror showed no cars behind me so I threw my car into reverse and bolted backwards, avoiding being hit. If I had had my head turned chatting with my passenger I wouldn’t have seen the drunk headed our way.

"Knives are allowed on aircraft now. Meanwhile, TSA is still confiscating Mickey Mouse snow globes because they have too much fluid."

But Logan Airport still won’t allow you to bring in knifes. I think they are still scared about 9/11.

Snow globes aren’t banned. Liquids are banned over a minimum volume. Anyone could put a fluid used to make a bomb in the snow globe, just as they could put the same liquid in what appears to be a factory sealed water bottle. All anyone has to do is put the snow globe in checked luggage. Same thing with the knives. I carried 3 pair of 4" blade scissors, a 10" vegetable cleaver and a 16" slicing knife back home on a recent flight. In my checked luggage, of course. And I saw that TSA was thinking about lifting the ban on small knives last year. The interview with the head of TSA at the time on this subject was quite amusing.

“Many people get upset because I don’t turn to look at them while driving.”

+1
The forum veterans will probably recall comments that I posted over the past couple of years, regarding a nutty former boss of mine and his…strange…ways of thinking. Well, another of his quirks was that he was in the habit of turning to talk to passengers, even if they were sitting in the back seat of his car!

In addition to the incredible safety hazard to which he subjected us whenever we rode in his car, he also would hit the brake every time that he turned his head (which was often), and would then compensate by hitting the gas when he turned his gaze forward again. Thus, we were all subjected to a constant whiplash effect as he turned to look backward and braked, then turned back forward and hit the gas. Altogether, an unsettling and sometimes nauseating experience.

(Along the way, he would drive to a gas station in order to put his daily $5.00 worth of gas into his big Buick, so that the attendant couldn’t “cheat” him if he specified a fill-up.)

Jt, the term is “maximum” volume, not “minimum” volume.
Snow globes ARE banned from being carried onto aircraft by virtue of the amount of liquid they contain. You can continue to argue with me if you’d like, but just don’t try to bring a standard sized snow globe on an aircraft.

If you support Mickey Mouse snow globes being confiscated from little kids boarding aircraft in Tampa, if you truly believe that’s necessary to prevent terrorist attacks, than all I can say is … I disagree.

“Many people get upset because I don’t turn to look at them while driving.”

I once had a girlfriend who looked over to much and too long; made me nervous.
I (as gently as I could) mentioned it to her once but she didn’t see it as a problem.

When I was a kid I remember we were driving through the mountains on vacation with my dad looking all over enjoying the view. My mother was petrified and often would use her imaginary brake on the passenger side while telling him to watch where he was driving.

jtsansders Just a year ago I had my favorite Swiss Army knife confiscated, I believe metal knives are still a non-no. Plastic picknic knives are now allowed I believe.