It gets worse...new oil pressure problem-1990 cherokee 4.0 L str.6cyl

would a socket work? it would have to be tiny. the ridges seemso small on my pins

thank you

Pust the piston all the way in with a c-clamp and that will expose the bolt heads, As far as your oil pressure, 350 rpm is very, very low idle. I am not surprised that it drops too low for your gauge to read, but you don’t need much pressure at idle- I think you are worrying needlessly at idle. Don’t forget, if your bearings are worn you are getting less pressure but more oil to them at operating speeds right until there is so much clearance that the crank or rods move excessively.
If that is the case boosting your oil pressure won’t help.

maybe it just went back to normal after i fixed stuff. it is actually running better. it goes up to 18-20 in neutral at 500rpm, or as soon as i hit the gas.

and thank you about the calipers, can i clamp the piston in with the caliper attached? i saw something about that in my book but did not get it. the caliper on one side moves a little and they say that means the pins have stretched and brake will drag, it did drag today too, off and on

thank you! every one!

but the pressure was a little jumpy sometimes at idle in drive with brake applied. from zero to like 2. something ain t right. i wish the pan was easier to drop.

even 500rpm idle is too low

really? it sounds ok, and is smooth, which was not the case two days ago. it was beginning to miss before i fixed some vacuum leaks and installed new plugs and wires

just the gauge is whacky, it is running better than ever

i was wrong about the 30 lbs fuel pressure yesterday, it was actually 20, which has remained constant when going at constant speed

well i can t read my book anymore, my eyes are too tired to see it. i hope i don t dream about it tonight

thanks again. everyone has helped one way or another and i have some hope for tomorrow. good night all

I don’t know how hard it is to drop the pan on the jeep. Never did it on that car. If it’s easy enough, then get the part and gasket you need. I would also search for a better manual - those Haynes ones are always too vague. Keep calm and focused.

What’s wrong with big blue? I know you know how to fix him up.

If all else fails put the jeep up for sale or trade on craigslist. They’re a popular vehicle and you shouldn’t have too much trouble unloading it or trading it for something else.

Go to rockauto.com and search jeep - 1990 - Cherokee- inline 6 - and go to literature. They have a CD-ROM shop manual for 23 bucks. They also have your oil pump, oil screen, oil pan gasket.

I won t go into much detail on blue, I would get too hard a time for even driving it at all. not to pat myself on the back, but over the years I have driven dozens of different types of equipment involved with steel production, many of which were ancient and huge and I was one of the few allowed to touch them. so my skill level is high, and even I am kept on my toes by blue…

it s not something my better half can drive anyway. there are too many variables.

my prob is that posting on here is about the limit of my 'puter skills.

apparently you have to drop the starter shocks rear seal and other stuff to get pan off.

I m heading outside now to try calipers again, hopefully clamping piston in will reveal something

need to order new caliper pins on one side at least,

we really want to keep the jeep, it fits our lifestyle. we don t have much money and it allows us to take advantage of inexpensive recreation, fishing, camping and such.

this old dog needs to learn some new tricks I guess.

got calipers figured out. duh.
thanks . a little good light and sleep and was easy, just unfamiliar. old timer and Yosemite helped too.

caliper pins are stretched so I need to replace them.

now I need to figure out why universal and bearing(?) behind hub and into axle are so sloppy, passenger side, that’s my big worry. I don t even see how universal comes out, no retaining ring like I m used to.

I think stretched pins and dragging brake might have caused the other prob behind them

ohh yeah, I still have the oil pressure thing…

okay. I figured out that right side axleshaft u-joint is bad and that retaining clips are inside of yoke arms.

got my caliper pins and axleshaft u-joint at advanced auto. 25 busks total. darn, forgot to ask about oil pressure sending unit

thank god I at least have a shade tree

Hey Wes, glad to hear that you’re getting somewhere with this.

About the shade…just an idea, but.
Years ago we had a place with a 2 car garage, but with all my tools, and my woodworking stuff and the yard tools…there was no room at all to even nose a vehicle into the garage.
I got sick of working in the hot sun and came up with a solution.

I bought a 20 X 20 ft tarp, two of those extendable tent poles and some stakes.
I measured from gromet to gromet and put an eye screw where each gromet was on the one side.
(they are not placed at the same distince so measure each one)
I bought some of those small carabeiners and put one thru each gromet on that side. I then could clip the carabieners to the eye screws. Set up the poles about 14 feet from the wall, set the stakes and you will have a 20 X 14 foot shade and the excess 6 feet can hang down to keep the sun off of you on that side as well, with only the ends open

Worked great . I put my eyescrews just high enough that I could barely reach them.
And after I got the hang of it, I could put it up in less then 10 minutes.

You can make your own adjustable ropes too. Cut a piece of old broom handle 5 1/2 inches, drill a 5/16 hole thru each end , Take12 ft of 1/4 rope, tie knot in one end, feed the loose end thru 1- 5/16 hole, leave a large loop and then feed thru the other 5/16 hole, once thru that hole tie a loop. Put that loop over your pole, the large loop over the stake and pull the handle towards the pole loop. They stay tight except in a good wind.

Yosemite

You have to have the cap off the brake fluid reservoir when you push the piston in. On a newer car with abs, the advice is generally to open the bleeder screw when pushing the pads and piston back. I don’t attemt to do this because of the extreme difficulty of opening a bleeder without breaking them off in our salt encrusted environment.

yeah, ihope I didn t blow out anything. I pushed the first one in before I remembered

Yosemite…great minds think alike :slight_smile:

could that blow out a rear wheel cylinder?