Is there room here for a "harm-reduction" approach to cell phone use?

Those two way radios in plane cockpits, I would bet are used only for communication involving the task of piloting the plane. Landing clearance, letting the tower and other pilots know you are in the pattern etc. Not for small talk or talking to a salesman about time share condos.

Small talk and task oriented communication is not the same as brokering a deal totally unrelated to driving while behind the wheel. Now instead of brokering a deal while driving, you are driving while brokering a deal, the deal is your main focus and driving is secondary.

I mentioned a few posts back that nearly every time I loaded a muzzleloading rifle forgetting the gunpowder, it was because someone was talking to me. Well, I engage in small talk and do task oriented communication all the time while shooting without miss loading the gun. It’s when someone interupts me with an issue that demands my full attention that causes me to forget where is was in the chain of tasks involved in loading the gun. Often, if in doubt, I’ll just blow it out and start over.

Those two way radios in plane cockpits, I would bet are used only for communication involving the task of piloting the plane.

You would lose that bet.

It's when someone interupts me with an issue that demands my full attention that causes me to forget where is was in the chain of tasks involved in loading the gun.

If you are using the gun as a driving metaphor, then you certainly should not be talking on the phone wile driving, because you are, by your own admission, not capable of relegating the phone call to low priority while keeping your more important task in the forefront.

Others are perfectly capable of dropping all attention to the phone call when more focus is needed for driving.

Banning cell phones because some drivers can’t handle them means many other things should logically be banned as well. Eating, passengers, radios, navigation screens, climate controls, billboards, other cars, attractive members of the opposite sex on sidewalks, and puppies have all distracted drivers to the point of causing wrecks.

Obviously, banning them would be the epitome of stupid. Instead, we should ban distracted driving. You get the same result, but only target the people who are actually driving poorly rather than wasting the cop’s time giving someone who was driving perfectly fine a ticket while tens if not hundreds of genuinely distracted drivers weave past the traffic stop.

I SPENT 30 MINUTES COMPOSING A POST CLICKED POST COMMENT AND IT DISSAPPEARED! WHAT THE HELL!!! cAPS LOCK WAS ACCIDENTAL.

Sometimes the site can be a bit goofy. That wouldn’t be a first time event.

@sgtrock21 since it’s happinging to you more than once, highlight your post when you’re done typing, press control-c, and then post. If it disappears, start a new post and hit control-v to get your text back.

Others are perfectly capable of dropping all attention to the phone call when more focus is needed for driving.

One of the biggest problems here is you never know when you will need that 100% focus in a car. It’s not exactly like a plane, when was the last time you suddenly found yourself having to perform an evasive manuever while cruising at 29000 ft because a deer suddenly jumped in front of your plane, or the traffic in front of you suddenly stopped?
It’s not the operation of the phone that’s distracting, it’s the conversation itself so it’s not like drinking coffee and driving, it’s more like daydreaming and driving.
Also, it depends on the conversation itself. Relaying information about traffic conditions ranks very low on the distraction scale. Small talk is a little higher on the distraction scale. The people who are the most dangerous are people who are conducting business that requires 100% of their focus while trying to drive.

If you are using the gun as a driving metaphor, then you certainly should not be talking on the phone wile driving, because you are, by your own admission, not capable of relegating the phone call to low priority while keeping your more important task in the forefront.

When someone comes up to me with something important to talk about, I stop loading the gun until the conversation is over, yes I am capable of relegating things to low priority. It’s just that once they are through, it’s easy to lose track of where you were. One of the people who compete against me at the trap range actually is a commercial pilot, and yes, he has missed birds because he forgot to put in the shot because the loading sequence got interupted by something.
A better metaphor is watching TV while she who must be obeyed is talking about something else and all of a sudden she says “are you even listening to me?”

B.L.E A better metaphor is watching TV while she who must be obeyed is talking about something else and all of a sudden she says “are you even listening to me?”

There is no correct answer. If you answer no. You are in serious trouble. If you answer yes. You will receive a pop quiz!

ok4450 February 5 With many people, if they have 5000 minutes a month on their plan they’re going to burn every one of them come hxxx or high water… :slight_smile:
I know what your talking about. Years ago my youngest Son leased a small Toyota pickup. It was 36 Months 36,000 miles. When there was about a Month left on his lease he had about 34,500 miles on the truck so he drove it up and down the interstate to get within 100 miles of the 36,000 mile limit! He spent time and fuel to accomplish what? I leased a 1996 Mazda Miata with the same deal. I turned in the car with 24,000 miles. That did not bother me at all. I drove the Mazda to work and back (25 miles), everywhere else I wanted (three 500 mile round trips), Lots of just driving around on twisty roads and cruising around in good weather with the top down (which is what a sports car is for). I never felt cheated. My cellphone: It is a 2007 Motorola (candy bar) AT&T $10 GoPhone. I only need it because I sit my 4 year old Grandson. His parents have no home phones only cells. I load my cell with 1,000 minutes $100 which are good for a year. If I did not have the idiot parents calling 4 times per day while I am sitting I would spend very little. I still spend less than $20 per month. If not for the Grandchild sitting I would keep the cell in my glove box for emergencies. And probably use less than 100 of the 1,000 minutes. I would still not feel cheated.

My missing post magically appeared the following day. It must have been lost in (cyber) space!