Is "some" knocking sound "normal" if not loud when turning steering wheel?

2005 Camry. I heard knocking sounds while turning. This is even with both tie rods out of the knuckle and the car off. Rotating the steering wheel left a few degrees and then right a few degrees, a quiet but audible knock. Replaced both inner and outer tie rods on both sides. Replaced intermediate steering shaft. Turns a lot more smoother, but still a knocking sound, although much less loud, when going left and right with steering wheel a few degrees and changing directions. Also replaced power steering pump.

Is “some” knocking sound “normal” if it is not loud, when turning steering wheel a few degrees in one direction than quickly turning to the other direction?

I’m not really sure what else it could be at this point other than the rack and pinion, which I don’t think it’s worth replacing and I will just deal with the sound for now until it becomes a functional issue.

Normal? No but for a high mileage car, it isn’t surprising. I’d guess there is a little slop in the pinion gear to rack mesh.

1 Like

Are the rack-n-pinion bushings good?? Is the rack bolts/nuts tight??
Is there any play when turning the steering wheel before the tie rods start to move??

1 Like

CV joints and/or strut bearings come to mind. Tho’ I guess if you’re talking about doing this with tie rods disconnected, then you’re standing still. So that brings it down to strut bearings.

With the outer tie rod ends not attached to the steering knuckle(s), that only leaves the rack internals (possible cracked or broken mount(s)), rack bushings, loose rack (mounting), or something in the column to the rack, including the coupler joint… unless I am forgetting something…

2 Likes

Oh right. Duh on my part. Should have just gone to bed…

1 Like