Is new Mustangs (2021) handling really this bad?

Surprisingly, here Mach 1 is actually 5 grands more expensive than Alpine A110S. Not sure about Lotus but I think there’s no Lotus dealerships here at all.

Haha, apparently 2+2 is quite important to me. Both because I occasionally pick up and drop off colleagues to/from work but also because 2+2 in most cases implies folded back seats. Something both BRZ and Mustang have and it was important criteria for me. That’s because as part of my work I’m usually transporting servers to datacenters when we’re installing and configuring new hardware. They’re not all that big overall but quite long (typical full-length server is 1.1m long, shaped like this: https://happyware.com/media/image/e8/07/2d/AS-2023US-TR4_angledJ6W8SbEAV6cZj.png), typically only one by one. According to my rough calculations it should fit most of front-engine 2+2 coupes. Also back seats space doesn’t seem to be that much of an issue. I know it’s small for US standards but actually I’m like 5’8" dwarf, so are my colleagues so we’ll totally fit 4 people in car like this xD

There’s plenty of caveats like those which always make me go like “oh, this car is dope… oh wait, nvm”. If 2+2 wouldn’t be requirement I’d probably go for Alpine A110S without much thought since it’s really dope car. Imho much more interesting than “another” Porshe on road.

The rear seats on a Mustang are not really meant for adults . I certainly don’t want to ride back there . So the rear seats fold down , putting that server in might have your back out of place. A Mustang is not a practical vehicle to work out of and haul stuff or people . Have you even seen a 2021 Mustang in person ?

No I only saw 2015 Mustang in person and it looks like really big car for EU standards. Though I did not sit inside. Maybe indeed I should. I’ll definitely check it out when I’ll visit dealership.

But it looks so long and wide that I even had to take some measures to figure out if it’s even gonna fit into my garage space but I guess it does. In my current car (3 door Astra H) there’s a ton of space in the back, especially considering how far my (driver) seat is pushed forward. I even remember eating pizza with colleagues inside this car on back seats during pandemic since all locales only allowed take-away orders. We managed to fit full pizza box here and made improvised table from it. So even if there’s a bit less space in those cars it still should be fine for shorter people. Not comfortably but at least legally.

Nor are the rear seats on the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86, and yet the OP seemed to have some interest in those identical vehicles. The only people who could comfortably occupy the rear seat in the BRZ/86 would be small children.
Very puzzling…

The Ford web site just like all other brand web sites will have the measurements of any vehicle you might consider . Where are you located ? I ask because Europe has city cars that we here in the US don’t even know about . I think if you buy this Mustang in 6 months you will regret it . But you make the decision yourself , not a bunch of strangers on the web on a different continent .

1 Like

Poland. Yeah we used to use mostly small cars here but after SUV craze blew up there’s a lot of giant SUVs here now as well. So now it’s mix of cars like Smart or other ultra compact cars and giant monsters like BMW X5 or Audi Q5. Again German examples because everyone here has German cars smh…

Poland ! That sounds like the last place I would want an over powered rear wheel drive vehicle like a Mustang for my only vehicle. That thing will be almost useless in the winter .

1 Like

That’s why I said “I know it’s really difficult car to drive but I’m up for a challenge” xD

Have you or would you consider the ecoboost 2.3 model. It has 310 HP and gets much better fuel economy. The lighter engine in front will help handling some and it comes with a 6 speed.

Rear wheel drive cars are not all that bad on snow and ice, I’ve driven them for many years and never got myself stuck. The Mustang will come with a limited slip rear end that that will make ice and snow a little harder than an open differential, but still doable. You will need winter tires, but any car driven in a harsh winter environment should have them.

If you have a winter driving school near you, that would be a good investment. You’ll be zipping by all this AWD, 4WD and FWD vehicles leaving their drivers scratching their heads.

If you think a Mustang is difficult to drive, maybe you shouldn’t be driving at all.

1 Like

The Mustang’s a bit bigger than a Q5. When I rented a Mustang GT for a week, the front end seemed VERY long and wide.

1 Like

+1
Winter tires are a good idea with either AWD or FWD, if one lives in a snowy region.
They are ESSENTIAL for safety if one is driving a RWD vehicle in a snowy region.

1 Like

You just have to choose right. Consider a Panamera. It’s not your run of the mill :rofl: 911. It’s got plenty of power and room to put colleagues in the back without making them ride with their knees in their mouths. If you really want unique, what about a Taycan? How many Taycans are there on the road in Poland? Hey, they’re German, yes they’re Porsches, but they are likely unique in your neighborhood. I’m just guessing, of course, because they are unusual in my area and I know nothing about Poland first hand. If you can’t stand German products as a reaction to WWII, I can understand that. I was in Seoul a few years ago, did not see even one Japanese car on the road, but you haven’t added that aspect to the quest.

I love the mustangs’ way of driving. these are my favourite cars

1 Like

xD no it’s nothing like that. I don’t like them simply because they’re popular here. Even among supercars and expensive cars - they’re still most popular ones comparing to non-german cars. To put it into perspective how common they are - there’s only one “supercar” territory car owned by sales rep in company I work for - of course it’s Panamera. My supervisor has Audi A6, sales dep head - BMW 530. Uncle - Audi A5. My father - Audi A4. Aunt - Audi Q7, two colleagues at work - Merc GLBs. One of shareholders - Merc GLS. 50% of taxi drivers here have old diesel Merc’s, another colleague VW Passat, another one BMW X6. Literally billion of Superb’s at work (which are realistically german cars now). Those are just random people from my surroundings. That’s what I meant by “even neighbor’s dog has one”. I can’t blame anyone that - we’re mass importing cheap old german cars directly from Germany, especially old diesels and support is really good, maintenance is cheap but still… it’s not something you aim for if you want extraordinary car here. I dunno. Also hot hatches are everywhere here, (regardless of brand) which is why I don’t aim for hot hatch either.

I think it’s also partially for bragging rights… I mean like, everyone knows what Porshe is so if you say you own Porshe every average Joe will be like “wHoA dUDe iT’s sO cOol”. The same about owning BMW etc. Whereas if you said that you have Alpine A110S average Joe would probably say he didn’t know that company producing car radios was also making cars and would most likely think it must be crap if nobody buys it and YouTubers don’t brag about it…

Haven’t seen Tycan yet. We don’t have good EV infrastructure so owning EV would be massive PITA. Probably that’s why there’s almost no EV’s here.

True, I have winter tires even in my current fwd and I already had my sideways ride on ice during my first winter, which ended on dirt near road, even though I was driving like 40 kph. I don’t even want to think how would it end if I didn’t have winter tires back then. Probably I’d have to ride a bike now lol

That’s actually really funny story because you see - since 2021 there’s no EcoBoost Mustangs offered in Poland at all xD When I checked in late 2020 you could still order one but not anymore. Now there’s only GT and Mach 1.

https://www.ford.pl/oferta/dopasuj/bp/ice#/model?catalogId=WSEAL-CZG-2021-MustangPOL202150

I find it a bit hilarious since it most likely means that nobody was buying EcoBoost here. I guess it makes sense… Well Mustang is quite bold car so getting vegetarian trim probably wasn’t really appealing to most of people here.

Out of those two I definitely aim for Mach 1 if anything since it imho looks nicer and has Tremec gearbox which is claimed to be more sporty.

1 Like

At 5:30 Hammond is asked about the handling, gives it high praise,

Hammond also loves the Maserati Quattroporte, as do Clarkson and Captain Slow. Not German, and it’s a real executive sedan. IMO, that’s what you are aiming for, just trying to be the only kid on the block with one.

… when it’s not in the repair shop…
:wink:

3 Likes

Hammond and Clarkson acknowledged the and liked it anyway. As I’ve said before, reliability is not the most important feature for may people. Not on this board, of course, but a lot of drivers have other priorities.