Is my wheel nut sheared off?

Below are a few pictures of where the wheel nut should be but all I see is a dead end.

The first picture has the missing nut on the left of the wheel.

I imagine a mechanic can fix this easy enough and without too much expense?

Also, there is discolouration around the hub where there was previously foam which I recently washed off. Does anyone know how I can remove this?

I think BMWs use lug bolts, not lug nuts

And yes, it’s sheared off

So once you have the rim off, you’ll have to extract what’s left of the lug bolt and chase the female threads in the hub before installing a new lug bolt

5 Likes

And that white stuff doesn’t wash off, it is corrosion of the aluminum wheel. It must be sanded off, polished and re-cleared.

1 Like

Lug bolts don’t normally shear off, so someone had better check the threads of all of the other lug bolts as well. I suspect these were either undertightened or overtightened and there might be other damage. Given the poor condition of the wheels, the bolt holes might be damaged as well.

1 Like

I agree that they don’t “normally” shear off

But the end result is the same . . . most likely someone will have to extract what’s left of the lug bolt and make sure the female threads in the hub are fine

If anything, the lug bolt was undertightened, imo

That is a lot of rust on the end of the lug bolt, it has been that way a while… The bearing hub is very rusted also… with all the corrosion on the wheel and rust on the hub, you probably going to have issues with other lug bolts also, you or a shop might have to replace the hubs with new lug bolts, remember they are they only things holding your wheels on…

1 Like