Is my transmission is going

I HAVE A 1997 SATURN SL2. IT JUST STARTED TODAY WHEN I STEP ON THE BRAKE TO COME TO A STOP THE RPM GAGE WILL JUMP A LITTLE AND THEN GO BACK DOWN. PLEASE TELL ME THIS DOES NOT MEAN MY TRANSMISSION IS GOING?

Is it just the gauge or can you also hear the difference? How long has it been since you checked the transmission fluid level, when was the last change?

Please loose the ALL CAPS, it makes reading messages difficult for most people and is considered SHOUTTING.

Sorry about the caps! I just had the fluid level checked and I was told it was fine. Not sure when it was last changed. But yes I can hear and feel the difference only when I’m coming to a stop.

The jumping and then going back down is the trans. downshifting into 1st gear so it’s ready to go when you start from a standstill. It shouldn’t be jerking around and making alot of noise, though.

It doesnt sound too serious, I have a couple of ideas but have you scanned the computer for codes yet??

transman

how is your idle mormally ie just setting has it been acting the slight bit erratic?
Have you ever had the “engine coolant temperature sensor” replaced? Saturns of this age have a plastic resin ECTS that cracks and fails. this is a $9 part. If you have never had it replaced i suggest you do. Get the brass one. you will see a world of difference in the persormance of the engine.