Hi All -
Looks like a great community, so thanks in advance. I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS that has recently started needing pricey repairs. Please look at the estimate below and let me know what I should do myself (I’m a bit of a tinkerer and have a mechanical engineering degree). I’d rather buy tools than lose it to labor. Also really skeptical of mechanics in general and this one in particular - i.e. they wanted to charge $100 to replace the cabin air filter (typical cost I think). I bought the filter online for $20 and did it myself in 15 minutes.
ESTIMATE FOR REPAIRS: $1056 (parts + labor)
- Replace lower control arm bushings (2 x P $68 / L $99)
- Alignment ($80)
- Upper and lower radiator hoses (1 x P$69 / L $150)
- Rear disk brake service (whatever that means) (P $56 / L $101)
- Rear Brake Rotors ( 2 x P $66 / L $0)
- Oil change ($24)
INVOICE FROM REPAIRS COMPLETED 4 MONTHS AGO: $1,446
- Check brakes for squeal
- Belt adjustment
- R&R Both rear struts and mounts
- Front Brake Disk Pad Replacement
- Front Brake Rotors
- R/R ABS Sensor to be replaced
- Two tires, inspection, emission, oil change
- Were they negligent 4 months ago in doing the check and not catching the things they did this time?
- If they did front brakes/rotors last time, shouldn’t they have seen the bushings were bad? I shouldn’t have to pay for alignment twice!
- If they did rear struts/mounts and were supposed to look at brakes 4 months ago (3,500 miles) - shouldn’t they have caught the rear brake problems then?? Would it have saved the rotors?
- $99 labor for replacing each lower control arm bushing? At $75/hr that’s 1.5 hours. Does it really take that long for each one? 2 hours for radiator hoses? Seems way too high.
- Of the invoice items, which do you recommend doing myself? How long would they take? i.e. bushings looks possible, but I’d rather have photos to work from.
Hi All -
Tile should be “screw me”, not “sue me,” sorry for the typo. Though I have half a mind to sue him…
PLEASE IGNORE this thread. Reposted with correct title:
Please ignore this thread. Reposted with correct title.