Is it worth it?

how hard will it be to drop my 1999 corvette lt1 454 into my 1980 gmc caballero?

It depends on how mechanically inclined you are since everything from the fuel pump to the radiator will have to be modified. It definitely won’t be a drop-in.

I would measure the engine bay first. The 454 was a brute of an engine, and not available in most mid size cars. If it fits, there are many companiies that sell conversion hardware and adapters, etc. Be prepared to spend at least $2500 over and above the engine cost. You will also need new front springs and shocks. The car will be very nose heavy, and handling will not be as nimble. Good Luck!

Thanks, I had some one offering to do it but now I really don’t think its all that feasible. Thanks for saving me a lot of time,cash, and disappointment.

What’s wrong with keeping it in your Corvette? (I sure hope the car didn’t suffer catastrophic failure)

How did you turn an LT1 into a 454? Is it really an L19? The Caballero could be ordered with a 350 engine, so an LT1 would fit. But I’m not sure about a big block. Anyway, you would change the driving characteristics with a big engine by altering the weight distribution. The front suspension would also suffer under the extra weight. Unless you actually do have a small block that is now a 454.

No way; the 454 is a large blok heavy brute. It is also quite thirsty.

Aw, c’mon, Nick, He’s only gotta fit 13 more cubic inches in to the head for each cylinder! LoL

Agree, but a “bored out” small block of 396/400 cubic inches had siamesed cylinders to fit in the larger bores. The 454 was cast bigger for the larger GM vehicles, and the heads might stick out further, how much, I don’t know. Robert MacNamara, when president of Ford incurred the everlasting wrath of Henry Ford II, when he allowed the oringinal Falcon to be built without room in the engine bay for a decent size V8.

WAY NOT ORDER A HIGH PERFORMANCE 350 CRATE ENGINE WITH ALL NEW THINGS YOU WOULD NEED FROM GMC THE ENGINES CAN ORDERED WITH DIFFERENT POWER
RANGES. IF YOU NEED TO TOW SOMETHING. OR GO TO DRAG STRIP. LOOK ON THE WEB AT SUMMIT AUTO. IF YOU ONLY WANT BRAG THAT YOU HAVE A BIG BLOCK (SO WHAT) REMEMBER YOU DROP THE VALUE OF YOUR VEHICLE. IN SOME STATE EMISSIONS LAWS WILL NOT ALLOW THIS . MY FRIEND MOVED TO CALIFORNIA AND TOOK HIS CORVETTE IT COST HIM THOUSANDS TO BRING UP TO THERE STANDARDS. THE OLD DAYS HAVE GONE. JUST CHANGING TIRE SIZES IS A NO NO WITH
THE COMPUTERS . EVEN THE BRAND OF TIRE YOU USE . BELIEVE IT OR NOT AT ONE TIME FORD SAID YOU HAD TO SPEEDOMETER GEAR IF YOU CHANGED TIRE BRAND. BUY A GRATE ENGINE DROP IN COMPUTER CHIP AND FLY LIKE THE WIND.