Is it true that fuel tank gas caps are being discontinued?

Hey George!

Just having a bit of fun with your post, no disrespect intended:

Seems to me that with a gas cap hand crank, if it stops working, you can buy a new one for $15. And you’ll never have a problem finding one, even if you break down in a small town during a family vacation. On the other hand, if these automatic gas-cap starter motor gadgets stop working and prevent refueling starting the engine while you are on a family holiday in the same small town, you may be looking at a $350 repair, or a long tow if a repair isn’t possible in that town, and you may have to wait for a day or two or even longer to get the replacement part. It sounds like people who’ve used cars with these devices like them ok, but I just don’t see the need for the complications and expenses that it may lead to. Just because something is possible to do, that’s not a reason to do it.

:slight_smile:

I’m not a fan of doing something to a consumer product just because they can either. But this is actually a worthwhile improvement IMHO.

I’d guess it was simply a cost cutting measure. The gas cap serves no funnction that cannot be served with a properly designed gas door with gasket. Consumer discomfort with this changes is understandble, but it makes sense from a design standpoint.

To repeat, there is no gasket on the door. All sealing is handled by the flip door inside the filler neck.

TwinTurbo, what the heck did you just say??

My mom’s 2010 Fusion hybrid has this feature. The fuel filler neck has a flap on it, that opens when a fuel nozzle (or something with a outside diameter equal to a fuel nozzle) is inserted into the neck opening.

The important operational fact to consider is that YOU CANNOT REFILL WITH A JERRY CAN/FUNNEL UNLESS IT HAS A DIAMETER EXACTLY EQUAL TO THE FUEL NOZZLE! They give you the car with a “calibrated funnel” in the trunk–do not lose it!

When I (duh!) lost the funnel in question, I was forced to redneck engineer a solution using a 5/8" heater hose clamped to a standard funnel before I could get any fuel into the tank.

I doubt this move is due to the CEL light; I suspect this is an attempt to “brown-nose” the EPA w/r/t the few molecules of fuel that would otherwise vent to the atmosphere between the time one removes the gas cap and the time one starts adding fuel.

Texases, I stand corrected. But my point stands. I believe the change is simply a cost cutting change. Apparently the current design has rendered the gas cap redundant.

Yes… its True… and we are asked to be green so recycle old socks as the new gas cap.