Is it possible to get a truely accurate Automatic-Transmission fluid level reading?

Every few days after some highway driving I follow the owner’s manual’s method to read the ATF level and it’s always different… sometimes it’s below the “hot low” mark. At other times, it’s between the hot-low and hot-high level…

I suppose temperature is the reason for this, but how am I supposed to know what the “true” reading should be? Do i have to measure the ATF temperature?

I would suppose that if it is above the low and below the high then your level is fine. That’s why there is a range given. There is probably no such thing as a “true” reading other than precisely measuring level immediately after factory installed the unit and then does the factory fill each “exactly” the same?

a fine point, do you think it’s safer to under-fill a little bit or overfill a little bit?

You now see the problem faced by a techs at every experience level. I agree it is at times very difficult or at least time consuming to get the fluid level set just where you want it. You want to protect yourself from a customer becomming angry over the level reading incorrectly but at the same time there is a line of cars waiting to be serviced.

A little over or a little under carry the same risk, which technicaly is none but praticaly is a angry customer.Worst is when you have the customer right there with you and they insist on the fluid reading in a exact spot on the stick and will not accept that there is a range the level can run in.

Some vehicles require a scanner be connected and the fluid level be checked and adjusted with the transmission at a certain temperature. I do this with my Charger.

transman

I have a bucket marked at quart intervals and if I check the fluid level and it is good I can drain and refill the amount that I drained less 1 pint to allow for the temperature and know that I am very close to correct. But it is still necessary to stick and wipe and stick and wipe and stick and wipe to verify the level. And it seems better to be a tad low than a tad over.

You sound like an interested do-it-yourselfer. Look into scanners that will read your car’s computer - not just error codes but specific readings including transmission temperature. Some such scanners consist of a plug and software for your laptop. Fun to play with.

The high hot on your stick probably corresponds to a specific temperature. Once you see how your transmission fluid level responds to temperature, you will be able to look at the dipstick and the temperature and know exactly where the level is.