Is it normal for this to be sticking out under car?

See attached image.

I noticed this tube sticking out underneath my car while walking around my complex this afternoon.

I’ve asked two people and they have no idea what it is.

I took my car to the dealer for maintenance about a week ago. I’m not sure whether something wasn’t adjusted correctly, or whether it’s normal.

Do any of you guys know what it is and if it should be there?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Cannot see the image.

No picture.

Sorry about that

2014 Nissan Versa. It’s on the rear.

No, not normal. This appears to be a fitting and tube from the evaporative emissions system. Is the Check Engine light on?

2 Likes

No, it’s not. Haven’t had any lights or noises.

Looks like sway bar is broken.

Item 17.

Tester

1 Like

That is the vent line for the fuel tank vapor canister, it won’t cause the check engine light to be on. That hose vents to a higher location and keeps water from entering the vapor canister.

1 Like

Thank you, guys! Is it safe to drive to the dealer tomorrow?

Yes, it will be fine to drive.

OP here. Thanks for all the informative replies.

I took the car to the dealership and they fixed it - free of charge. Per the paperwork, they had to fasten something that had come loose.

In addition, they strongly recommended that I replace the driver/serpentine belt, saying it had cracks. I agreed to it just to be on the safe side, but I last replaced that belt in August of 2019.

Is it normal for a serpentine belt to start going bad that quickly? I read that problems with the tensioner can screw up the belt, and my tensioner did have an issue at some point. Even though I don’t drive much, I live in hot and humid South Florida. Not sure if that counts for anything. Or if it may have to do with the fact that I have a Nissan Versa, which isn’t the most luxurious car out there by any stretch.

Serpentine belts usually last tens years.

And they usually don’t crack

Tester

That’s very unusual, like @Tester said. They probably assumed it was original.

Did you look at the serpentine belt? In the future, Get a look at the parts before replacement, or at least afterwards to confirm the diagnosis. Also, what is that special something they reconnected? The exact ID should be on the receipt.

They didn’t specify. It just said something like “refast loose part.”

No, I didn’t get a look at the part.

The rubber on a serpentine belt will “check”. That is it has small cracks around the edges, but it is harmless and the belt does not need to be replaced. Usually you replace the belt when chunks of rubber come out.

The belt is reinforced with an aramid fiber that can last 20 years or more, but as the rubber ages and becomes brittle, it will start losing chunks of rubber and it will have difficulty gripping the pulleys. At that point it needs replacing.

1 Like

Tester

and always replace the tensioner and idler pulley with the belt.