Is it electric or transmission?

I have a 1994 Chevy Cavalier automatic transmission. Ususlly it drives fine, until I go about 50 mph. It drives fine over 50mph, but when I have to slow down, and it shifts gears, it stalls out. After it stalls that first time, it then stalls every time I put it into gear. If I let it sit for a few days, I can put it back into gear and drive away.

I’m thinking that it is some sort of electrical connection problem when it downshifts from 5th to 4th gear. My car used to short out when I locked the automatic door locks, but I got a new battery and that stopped.

So my question is, is my analysis correct? If so, how much $ am I lookng at to get it fixed?

Thanks

I’ve read about this problem, and I think it is the lock-up torque converter not releasing as it should. There is an electric solenoid that activates and de-activates the system. I had an '89 Buick that had a similar problem once. Disconnecting the plug on the side of the transmission prevented the problem from happening, but I had no overdrive and no lock-up converter functions.

One other thing to check is to make sure you have a good connection on the ground wire between the engine and firewall. Without a good ground wire, it can try and find a ground path through the transmission.