Is dealership obligated?

Back in The Good Old Days, that feature was standard equipment.
Nowadays, one has to pay extra for that type of equipment, dammit!
:smirk:

Why you are posting in this thread then? I routinely come upon threads here that don’t interest me. My solution, I just ignore that one, & move on to the next thread. Is there some reason this same method wouldn’t work for you ? Hopefully you don’t insist that every thread posted here must be something you are interested in.

1 Like

George , why won’t you admit that your silly threads as of late just annoy people ? This one is a good example because even if it does happen ( not likely ) only the people involved will know about it. Just like your Olive Oil problem .

1 Like

Remember, these forums are hosted by Car Talk. Not by ABC Garage. And hypothetical questions are a Car Talk trade-mark. For example, this is a recent Car Talk question:

“A special vehicle was first produced in 1949. It was powered by a Jeep engine but then switched to a Volkswagen engine. It had a base price of $50,000 when it came out and now is way above $100,000. It is never raced, but can often be found in a closed course, so to speak. A famous sports celebrity was the creator and first sales representative for this vehicle. What is the vehicle and who was that famous sports celebrity?”

I’ll ask you the same question as I asked VDC above . If you don’t find this topic interesting, why do you post in it? Suggest to simply ignore threads which don’t interest you. Not everyone is interested in everything. There’s no need to post in topics which don’t interest you. That just clutters the forum.

1 Like

Now you are getting close to the option packages offered after ww2 to veterans coming back missing limbs. I don’t recall the details but you can imagine how hard it was to drive a 1945 model with one leg or one arm.

One of my business associates from yesteryear was wheelchair-bound, but he still drove his car to work every day. He used hand controls for what you’d otherwise w/your feet. I wonder if this sort of retrofit will become more and more difficult/expensive to accomplish as cars become more & more complex? His car was a 70’s Pinto as I recall.

I’m not sure I follow the rationale to be more complex. The old days required stringing cables and physical mechanisms. These days you just jumper a wire. Throttle by wire, auto brakes, etc.

1 Like

Maybe our esteemed forum colleague @Clueless33 is able to tell us more.

The 70’s Pinto I mentioned above, its retrofit definitely required a lot of cables and other mechanical gizmos.

All that useless information and you still did not answer my question…

And hosted by Car Talk doesn’t mean much to me, I am here for the Forum part, the Repair Shops are out of date, the Buying Guide is out of date and looks to be money motivated…

1 Like

For crying out loud George , ABC Garage is a You Tube channel and has nothing to do with Cartalk so why even mension it .

Are you referring to the question about how to contact the forum administrators ? I’ve never seen the need to do that, so I’m not sure how. I guess if I ever had that need I’d flag a related post, then from that I should be able to send a short message to a forum moderator , and ask it be forwarded to a forum administrator and for what purpose; e.g. . in your case presumably that you wish to suggest a change to the established forum guidelines.

FAQ - Car Talk Community

I believe there’s also a website feedback category that presumably gets read by the forum moderators.

Why would you not just DM/PM one of the two Mods we have?? But who are the Admin(s) anyway??
As someone that has owned and or been an Admin on many different forums and helped build one from scratch as well as on several other car related forums, I have never seen one that doesn’t show an Admin… But I have also never seen one that is structured like this… Not saying it is right or wrong, but different… anyway, it is what it is…

Forums that have a high “fat to meat” ratio often die a slow death.

This forum is so much more valuable when the posts are meaningful.

George:
I ask you sincerely, for the sake of many of us here, please refrain from fluff posts. You are the 2nd all-time highest poster on this forum, which is a testament for how much you’re contributing to the high “fat to meat ratio”.

3 Likes

My friend with cerebral palsy has a 2021 Toyota sienna, and his van was custom built to meet his needs.

He has a nob on the steering wheel which allows him to steer the vehicle safely. The gas accelerator is positioned to the far left instead of the right. The entire back seats were removed to accommodate his scooter, and back there has a custom slider that automatically slides his scooter out and in of the vehicle.

Hes a millionaire. And he paid an awful lot of money for his van. His wealth was passed down to him by his deceased father.

My aunt had what’s called Chronic Fatigue syndrome that gave her limited energy but could drive as long as she didn’t over tax herself and took breaks at regular intervals. The Toyota dealer closest to where she lived made her so upset with how she was treated that she went to the small town dealer she trusted about 1hr away to be treated fairly. Would only take the new Toyota Matrix she bought to out of town dealerships and refused to spend one single dollar at the dealer 15min from where she lived.

What do you think would be easier to alter; a completely mechanical system requiring rods and cables to transfer force to existing controls or one that is already electronically controlled with remote actuators?

1 Like

FWIW- I have no issue with posting hypothetical questions as long as they are realistic and pertinent. George did post in the appropriate area- General Discussion. Most car guys I know enjoy some level of bar stool car talk and bench racing. If I see a discussion topic of no interest to me, I am capable of moving on without commenting. These discussions can wander a bit and then touch on topics of interest. For example: the approach to bargaining for a car purchase-

George mentioned having a check pre-filled out to entice the seller.

I would never do this. First, if it is a dealer, they are less interested in people who can pay in full for a car. They want people who can barely afford it and will pay in installments. Sporting a check does no good and in fact may hurt your bargaining power. Once you show them the check, how can you ever go lower? If you start too low, they will think you’re either not serious or a pain to waste time bargaining with a cheapskate. You give up your hand when you show them the check…

For private sellers, this has no purpose. It is a piece of paper. It has little meaning. Back when I was buying cars for $5k or less, cash was king. I would have my minimum amount in a wad in one pocket and a sweetener amount separate so they don’t know I have it. Then, fanning out cash in front of their wife was one of the most effective tactics :wink: I only bought one car from a female and that was easy, she was recently divorced and the truck reminded her of the ex… :grinning:

Anything above that and I am not carrying cash. An incomplete, pre-made out check is dangerous if you lose it. I only get a cashier’s check after I know the payee, negotiated amount and include certain details in the comment line- payment in full for VIN XXXX for example. Same for a personal check…

3 Likes

I am having a difficult time understanding why someone simply is unable to ignore a thread they’re not interested in, and insist the OP refrain from posting and wasting their time. I sit here and scratch my head as if I have lice in it as I find something like this incredibly strange.

Yes, I read the comments on all sort of topics on here and I don’t always respond to the topic. But when the topic sway a bit and something pops up that interests me, then I’ll share what I know.

1 Like

How about because George has been posting a lot of nonsence threads as of late ? Even Joe Mario has asked him to stop .

3 Likes