Is dealership obligated?

I’ve only purchased one new car, but teenage-me did quite a bit of dickering for used cars. I routinely brought a prepared check to the wheeling and dealing. One glimpse & I’ve got seller’s complete attention.

There’s no reason to suggest the dealership’s name also contained the brand name. The check amount would be an estimate. There’s no need to prepare the check w/ the exact amount. The purpose of the check is to show the dealership the customer is a serious buyer with enough funds immediately available to close the deal. Refunds to the customer, or add’l funds from the customer is all that’s needed.

Completely consistent with an opinion forum. & I’m seeking opinions . If you personally don’t think hypothetical questions should be allowed in this forum, you are welcome to lobby the forum admins for a change to the terms of service.

1 Like

Overdrive .

A confused 90 year old doesn’t have the same level of credibility as a 40 year old.

I’m not gonna say it. I’m not gonna say it. Biting my tongue.

A cashier’s check has to have the name of the person or company on it so this whole stupid thread is a waste of time. Make something plausible George.

1 Like

I don’t see your point. Are you disagreeing about the level of credibility that a car sales-staff would give to a 90 year old vs a 40 year old potential buyer?

Really, I said I’m not gonna say it, make some folks mad, and collect another demerit, but you want me to explain it? Leaving the house
For a ride in the country.

I must be missing part of this conversation … lol …But a ride in the country sounds like a good idea. Suggest to stay clear of that flooding reservoir in Mankato.

Is there ever a time you’re not happy, Mr. Volvo ? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Who are the forum admins, I can’t find them anywhere, I only see 2 mods that are gone for weeks at a time, 6 that are no longer active and an Admin (if one exist) needs to remove them as Moderators so it is not confusing to new members… I have only been on here almost 1.5 years now and have yet seen anyone that owns/runs the forum, so how could anybody take it up with a forum Admin??

And I can assure you that @VDCdriver is not the only one that thinks hypothetical Threads are a waste of space on the forum…

Now I do think it would be nice to have different Boards with different sections and sub sections for things like this and general talk about whatever… Like a no start section, rattle section, tire wear section, whatever you name it, but also a lounge section for off topic discussions like this one that gets in the way of someone new trying to find answers and running across this one and others…

3 Likes

@George_San_Jose1

I’m not going to beat around the bush any longer, George

Is one of your 90yr-old friends or relatives planning on buying a new car?

I don’t think this discussion is very productive at all, btw

4 Likes

Years ago there was rant and rave. Anyone could talk about anyone. Mostly one post office guy was not happy if you can imagine, but quite a different mix of participants. Happy trails.

Exactly!
The hypothetical person is so “confused” that he she doesn’t know Toyota from Honda, but has somehow managed to have his/her bank print a check with the correct dealership name?

Because the original premise is so bizarre, this entire thread has no actual purpose.

1 Like

On my Aston Martin the red button launches the rockets.

3 Likes

I’m elderly - and it’s extremely rare I step into a branch office of my Credit Union. This can all be done on-line. The Top 5 Financial Scams Targeting Seniors (ncoa.org)

Face-to-face scams are getting harder. Bank tellers are trained to look for it.

If a car dealership ever did sell a car to someone who wasn’t all-there…I’m pretty sure that contract could easily be null and void.

2 Likes

“does not” ! :rofl:

+1
In addition to minors not being able to legally agree to a contract, those with diminished mental capacity cannot be legally bound to a contract that they might have signed.

A person who lacks mental capacity can void–or have a guardian void–most contracts (except contracts for necessities). As with contracts with minors, the contract is voidable, and not automatically void.

@PvtPublic, the red button on his Aston Martin launches the rockets. You didn’t pay for that option. :wink:

1 Like

Hopefully nobody will press that button … lol …