Is 2004 Dodge Intrepid Purchase Worth The Risk?

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 Dodge Intrepid SE (2.7 liter, V6) that has 130,000 miles on it. According to Kelly Blue Book, it still has a book value of $5850. It has mostly highway miles on it as it was in a fleet of sales cars at my sister’s company (they are buying new cars now for their sales staff and are selling the '04’s). Everything on the car is in good condition - it’s just that it has 130,000 miles on it. But, I can get it for around $3000 I believe. Just wondering if I should take the gamble on this car? I did call my local mechanic to get some info and he told me that on the 2004 Intrepids, the water pump was prone to leaking down into the oil pan which would wipe out the bearing in the motor. And I guess you’d need to pull out the motor to repair the water pump (nine hours labor?). Did anyone have that experience with an 04 Intrepid. Again, I’m just curious if this would be a risky purchase or should I get it since it would be for about half of the book value. Thanks.

The most common problem with this car is sludge in the 2.7L. Otherwise, an average car at best. If the oil looks good, and it doesn’t smoke at start-up, it is probably an okay deal at $3000, not so much at $5800.

Two potential problems with the Intrepid: Timing chain failure and valve body failure in the
transmission. Each repair would cost over $500. This car is a gamble, but you could get lucky.
Don’t pay more than $3000.