Invalid state error

Every so often, a message appears on my radio that says “invalid_state_error” The car seems to be working well. I can’t seem to find any useful information so i am turning to the experts, which admittedly I should have done first. Any help is appreciated.

What year Elantra?

Why wouldn’t you ask the dealer’s service department this question? They are the real experts on this car.

3 Likes

Is the car under warranty?

I think this is the 2014 in his other threads .

It might have something to do with navigation maps.

1 Like

In general terms, “invalid state” refers to a communication failure, i.e., something can’t communicate with something else. My wild guess is a bad body control module but a guess is all it is. Beyond that, I have no clue. Agree a dealer’s shop is your best bet.

I’ve never seen that error message on a car display. When I see it on a computer display it usually means some sort of hardware error has occurred. Something that the software can’t recover from. Usually it means a replacement circuit board is needed.

If interested in more detail, computer electronics designers often use “state machines” as the basic building blocks of the circuitry. Sort of like how 2 x 4’s are used to build a house. A “state” is a combination of bits; e.g. 01000100111 might represent a state. State machines are only supposed to have a certain set of valid states; when a state machine exhibits a state not in that list it doesn’t know what to do, and displays that error message.