Intermittent starting problem

In cold weather the starter on occasion hesitates and acts like the timing is off. It has a new starter, new battery, new injectors, new head, new timing belt. Vehicle runs excellent, no coolant usage, no antifreeze vapor in the exhaust, excellent compression. Coolant system has been pressure checked.

What could cause this?

The starter “hesitates”?

That could mean different things to different people, but the way that I am interpreting it, I would suggest that you consider the battery terminal connections or the ignition switch in the steering column as possible sources of the problem.

If you give us some additional information, including model year, odometer mileage, and engine type, we may be able to come up with more possibilities.

This is an idea. It sounds like the timing could indeed be off while you are cranking. If the CaM Position sensor and/or CranK Position sensor is sending a weak signel to the PCM, it might get confused as to which cylinder is approaching TDC. So what I would do is clean up the connectors for the CMP and CKP sensors.

I am guessing that you have the 2.5 liter I4; that this Voyager is a 1996 model; and has about 120K miles on the clock.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the replies VDCdriver/Researcher.

It is a 1989 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE, 3.0Ltre V6, Mitsubishi automatic transmission, 174k Mileage.

It acts like a timing problem, or hydrostatic lock. All battery/starter connections are clean and tight.