Intake Manifold Leaks>>>WHY?

Dorman provides, “Improved metal construction”.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4780110&cc=1376973&jnid=546&jpid=0

So the aftermarket is aware of the weakness with the OEM gasket design.

Tester

I used Fel-Pro Perma Dry Plus when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my '02 Malibu 3.1. The construction was silicone on metal rather than silicone on fiber. It worked out great.

I understand the newer models have solved the problem with improved gasket design.

So the aftermarket is aware of the weakness with the OEM gasket design.

Granted, but no proof the aftermarket is better.

Funny!

I’ve been installing these Dorman intake manifold gaskets sets in GM vehicles for years.

Once you install the gasket set, you never see a come-back.

Before Dorman came up with the improved gasket set, you would tell a customer, cross your fingers, and keep an eye on the coolant level from now on.

Tester

I’d have to see all your data.

Show me your data first!

What is your experience with repairing different vehicles, other than your own over the last fifty years?

Tester

Fel-Pro has been making these steel shim gaskets for I’d say 15 years now, I believe they pioneered them. They are recognized as an industry leader as far as gaskets go. I wouldn’t think of using anything else to reseal an intake.

What is your experience with repairing different vehicles, other than your own over the last fifty years?

Irrelevant. So you have no data on how long aftermarket gaskets last vs. oem.

Rookie!

Tester

I didn’t think so.

Toyota used to use aluminum intake, but now uses plastic.

So I take it then that no one knows if there is a domestic or foreign car manufacturer that does not use this Mickey Mouse system??? It is like they are purposely aiding the car repair business, hoping to get that business themselves, the Axxxxxxs :slight_smile:

I don’t think any data is collected on aftermarket gaskets after the initial gasket failed.

But there is a lot of data on the type of gasket Felpro uses…since many manufacturers still use this type of gasket…and was used for decades in the past. I’ve never heard of wide spread of intake manifold gasket failures before GM and a few others started using this new method. Also GM doesn’t use this on all their engines…and those engines they use the felpro style gaskets on are NOT having this issue.

So I take it then that no one knows if there is a domestic or foreign car manufacturer that does not use this Mickey Mouse system????

From this article it looks like Ford and Chryco use this type system.

@JazzAzz None of the posters here seem to have caught onto the fact that ALL the engines in your cars that you complain about are no longer made. The Gen 1 smallblock Chevy V8 has been replaced by the LS series of engines that nearly all use aluminum heads now. The V6 in your wife’s Monte has also left the building and the 4 popper in your S10 was retired during the Clinton Administration (thank goodness) A lot has been changed in 15-20 years in the car world for the better (usually).

Mustangman>> Well some good news I guess, IF THEY GOT AWAY from that crappy, guaranteed boat payment for mechanic’s design, although I really like my S10, as I said, other than a head gasket repair, runs like a Swiss watch, but barely broken in at just 54,800K original miles :-). And it was explained to me here, why it would not have that intake manifold issue, with a straight 4 & no valley. Just days ago, this dinosaur learned from a friend that there are now V4s!!! Huh??? I guess more opportunities for mechanic’s boat payments. So now, since those engines you mentioned aren’t made anymore, have they gotten away from the silicone crap design, going to REAL gaskets right off the bat, or need I look for a foreign brand next time???

I really like my S10, as I said, other than a head gasket repair, runs like a Swiss watch, but barely broken in at just 54,800K original miles :-).

My GMC S-15 did too…until it reached about 110k miles…then it became more costly to keep running.

Just days ago, this dinosaur learned from a friend that there are now V4s!!!!! Huh???

V4 engines have been around since at least the 60’s.

“My GMC S-15 did too…until it reached about 110k miles…then it became more costly to keep running.”

Well with the little mileage on all three of our vehicles, the 97 Monte Carlo, having the most at 60K+, since my Dad (Deceased in 2001) gave up driving at the age of 80, and me now 66, our vehicles aren’t likely to get anywhere near 100K :slight_smile:

Mr. JazzAzz take a deep breath and relax. Every vehicle manufacture is going to have some assembly process that might not make sense years down the road. There is also the chance that a suspect process will be improved as it is used.

@JazzAzz

“silicone crap design”

The silicone was not the problem. It was the fiber core - it would turn to mush. The new metal core remedied the problem.