Intake manifold gasket leak - GM 3.3 liter

I’ve talked to a number of shops and a GM dealer who say " Oh, we’ve replaced a quite a few of those" when I mention the coolant leak from the intake manifold gasket of my '99 Buick Century w/ 3.3 - V6.

Anyone aware of GM owning -up to this defect?

GM designed a new and better quality gasket, but like GM, I don’t actually believe they admitted that the old one was inferior junk. The new one is “new and improved”.

GM has had this problem for YEARS…and they have NOT owned up to it. The failure doesn’t occur until about 100k miles so MOST of the cars effected are past warranty. Get it fixed BEFORE it destroys your engine.

And personally I’d go to a independent mechanic. There are aftermarket choices to fix this problem that’s better and cheaper then GM.

The manifold gasket leak occured at only 49,000 miles and the car was 6 yrs.old in '05. ( I had it repaired at an independent shop. $700.00) The reason I brought it up now is I was getting gas and I overheard the mechanic talking to a customer that was experiencing the same intake manifold coolant leak.
At the time I contacted Buick and told of the frequency of this problem (from what I had been told by GM dealers and other shops). In effect , Buick headquarters said tough luck buddy - your out of warranty.
Another reason this issue came up with me is I’m thinking about replacing the car and Buick would like to sell me another Buick. Other than the gasket and the rusting out- Owners manual says: no need for further rust protection,
it hasn’t been bad car.

Great attitude isn’t it…GM has had this problem for YEARS (early 90’s through mid 2000’s)…and they knew about it…and they basically don’t care.

The reason I brought it up now is I was getting gas and I overheard the mechanic talking to a customer that was experiencing the same intake manifold coolant leak.

I have a friend who owns a Pontiac/GMC/Nissan?Hyundai dealership in Upstate NY. He’s had to hire 2 extra mechanics just to work in the Intake Manifold problems with the V6 and V8 engines from GM. GM said it was fixed in 2004…but he’s still seeing engines made just last year with the same problem…although no where near the numbers…I saw him over the summer…He told me his place is doing well over 200/yr. He’s NEVER seen any problem like this by any manufacturer in his 40+ years in the business. When I got out of the Army I helped him restore a couple 60’s Firebirds…Easy to do when you have a whole supply of Pontiac parts to your disposal.

OOPS . - It is a 3.1 liter engine.
Just read about a class action settlement from GM regarding repairs related to GM’s use of Dex-Cool engine coolant. The intake manifold gasket is listed as a victim of the use of Dex-Cool causing the gasket and other components to fail . Go to : dexcoolsettlement.com for details.