Insurance

“Isn’t there something I can do about them dropping my coverage when they agreed to give me the extension? Thank God I didn’t have a car wreck!”

I’m not sure what you mean by “Isn’t there something I can do…”. Are you implying that you want to sue them? Or are you thinking of some other type of recourse?

If some type of civil suit is what you may have been contemplating, then please let me assure you that you have no case. Since you did not have a car wreck and did not need to file any type of insurance claim during the period in question, then you did not suffer any damages from this lapse in coverage. If you did not suffer any damages, then nothing is actionable from a legal standpoint. Yes, you might have suffered some mental anguish, but this would not be sufficient anguish to be compensated.

On the other hand, if you were thinking of pursuing a complaint with your State Commissioner of Insurance, you might succeed in giving Geico a “black mark” in terms of the state’s rating of their performance. However, this would not be likely to have any significant impact on Geico’s functioning in the long run.

My best advice–especially in view of your current financial situation and your difficult living arrangements–is to focus on what is most important for you and for your child at this point, and “getting even” with Geico does not rise to the level of being important in your lives at this point.

Wreaking vengeance against a huge corporate entity that employs a large legal department will only be a time-consuming exercise in futility for you, and will only serve to keep your current feelings of hostility against Geico active in your psyche.

Maintaining hostile feelings is not healthy and should be avoided by any means possible. Since your original post as well as your follow-up posts appear to indicate that you are still emotionally overwrought over this issue, you need to put it behind you, rather than continuing to stir the pot of your emotions.

As was said, it might be a good idea for you to secure new coverage and then to drop your Geico coverage. But, no matter what you do regarding your insurance coverage, it is time to move on with your life’s important issues and to try to put this negative experience behind you.

Comparing my rate from a local agent I would save $58 a year. I have been with him for 20 years and have 30 days from due date to pay and still have coverage, but have never needed that grace period but it is nice to know it is there. I can call him any time though there have been few times I have needed to, and get help, courteous service and quick resolution to any problems. My general feeling on important purchases and financials is if there is not a brick and mortar building I can contact to to resolve any issues, I take a pass.

Do you really think Joe Guy was lying about the thread or are you using the word in a dramatic sense? I have had Geico for years,works for me.