Installing headlight anchor bracket in 2002 Pontiac Grand Am

Somebody very nicely hit my 2002 Pontiac Grand AM and broke the bracket that holds the headlamp on the driver’s side in place. I have looked into it and the replacement part is one that goes all the way across the front of the car. I have tried to find directions on line for replacing this part, but have been unsuccessful. Someone told me that we would have to remove the bumper to do it. Does anyone have directions for replacing this. I would like to not have to keep duct taping my left headlamp to the car.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

YouTube is your friend for these things. I found several videos showing bumper removal for a Grand Am. Here is one.

Thank you very much. Do I have to remove it in order to replace the part?

Can you post a pic of the break? It might be far easier to fabricate a repair than to replace the part, especially if it is buried under a bunch of parts…

Certainly looks like you do need to remove it. You might get away with pulling the upper loose enough to get the support bracket out. But it isn’t that hard to remove and it will give you more room to work… and find all the bolts more easily for the bracket.

Here’s the procedure from the service manual. Bumper removal is not required. There are four bolts in the top as shown. There are also two bolts in the bottom (not shown), installed from the bottom.

1 Like