Installing Automatic Folding Side Mirrors to a Car that Does't Have Them

Yeah that’s what she said, they check everybody. Its just a lot easier that way. Its the special interest fanatics at work again where kids that look older go out and test the grocers and establishments to see if they can entrap someone. Then they get fined or lose their license. We volunteer at the local theater and sell beer and wine and need to be very careful making sure you never sell to someone under age. I think it started with the anti-smoking nazis.

I don’t know what a kid is supposed to do these days for cigarettes. No machines anymore and everybody carding everyone. We used to buy them from a blind guy who ran a corner grocery. Just had to lower your voice a little or say it was for the folks. There are worse things than being 18 and having a beer and a smoke in the woods.

@MikeInNH

“They card EVERYONE.”

I actually like the idea of that

What I don’t like is when a place of business has loose rules, or leaves it to the cashier/waiter’s “discretion” whether to card somebody

It’s infuriating when the snot-nosed kid with acne in line right in front of me does NOT get carded when he buys his case of beer, but I do

One time at a restaurant recently, I got carded, not anybody else at the table. When my relatives saw I wasn’t happy with the situation, they all plopped their driver licenses on the table and said “You need to check us also.” They were smiling and it was clearly supposed to defuse the tense situation. But the waiter didn’t see any humour in the situation. None whatsoever. He only looked at my card, and then told me “thank you” with an absolutely expressionless face.

To keep this ever so slightly car-related. I didn’t drive, because I don’t want to jeopardize my class B. I could legally be DUI with half the blood alcohol content, versus a class C. When I got that license, I made a decision . . . if I’m at a restaurant, and I drove there, I’m not having any drinks whatsoever

I don't know what a kid is supposed to do these days for cigarettes.

That’s one product I wish would go away. This one product has probably caused more harm to more humans and anything else in the History of man.

What I don't like is when a place of business has loose rules, or leaves it to the cashier/waiter's "discretion" whether to card somebody

What has happened to many stores over the years…is the grocery clerk (usually some high-school age kid) sells beer to their underage friend. The friend then gets drunk and drives home and kills someone. The police discover where he bought the beer from. The store gets sued for MILLIONS…and they fire the clerk…who easily gets a job at one of their competitors because he has cashier experience.

@MikeInNH

I can understand the situation you’re describing . . .

However . . . it’s upsetting when the grocery clerk is probably in her 50s, and she doesn’t card the snot-nosed kid with acne, but she cards me. And the kid was in line directly ahead of me

Maybe the kid and the grocery clerk were related, or were friends, but it sure seemed like they didn’t know each other

Like I said before . . . card everybody with absolutely no exceptions, or don’t card anybody, with no exceptions

@db4690 - I haven’t been carded in years (except when I buy beer or wine at Wegmans). Having white hair is a clue I’m over 21. Back when I was growing up the drinking age was 18.

I agree with the seemingly arbitrary enforcement of asking for ID. One reason the kid in front wasn’t asked for ID was because the clerk knew him. Who knows.

I personally think more grocery stores should adopt Wegmans policy.

NH state statutes require the carding of all patrons buying liquor. Doesn’t bother me. The clerks are only doing their jobs, and they SHOULD do them properly. Heck, my SOCKS are old enough to buy liquor.

What does bother me is that active military personnel SHOULD be allowed to drink. When I was a young GI I went into a restaurant in Minnesota with a few buddies, all of us in uniform. In Minnesota at the time, everyone at the table except those with their legal guardian had to be over 21 for anyone at the table to get served. I was under 21, the others were over 21. They refused to serve the other guys because I was under age, even though I only ordered coffee. I shipped out not long after to bomb Hanoi. IMHO all state laws should allow active duty military personnel to buy liquor… with an ID, of course. If a man is adult enough to deploy to a war zone and fight for his country, he should have adult privileges.

What does bother me is that active military personnel SHOULD be allowed to drink.

If you’re old enough to get drafted…then you’re old enough to drink.

That has been my adamant feeling since that day in Minnesota about 45 years ago.
I would even argue that anybody with a veteran’s ID should be allowed to drink.

And ALL should be subject the same DUI statutes as anyone else. And they should be STRICT.

I gotta agree with that. Minnesota was always 21 but when I started college in South Dakota it was 19 for 3.2. Unfortunately I was only 17 so was a junior by the time I could buy a 3.2 beer legally. But then my first week at Ft. Jackson finally turned 21 but by that time big deal-no where to go.

I’d like to add mirrors to my 2016 Nissan Rogue SV THAT CAN BE FOLDED WITH A SWITCH

Unlikely to be simple sol’n, but I’ve seen folding mirrors on teslas, bmw’s, and acuras. The tesla version is the most cool imo. Maybe your shop can figure out a way to just fit a tesla mirror to your rogue. Some investigation is needed b/c there may be software needed to make the mirror move and stop moving. Your research may show – if nobody here knows already – that one of the current manufacture’s offerings can be made to work by just supplying switched battery power on the correct terminals & with the correct polarity to get it to do the basic function.