Installing Automatic Folding Side Mirrors to a Car that Does't Have Them

I agree with db on the backing comment. I always back into my garage as well as in parking spaces, and I find it much easier… and safer. Too many children are hit by cars backing up every year, and I don’t ever want to do that.

mountainbike

you bring up a good point, about children

I wasn’t even thinking about that, merely the ease of leaving the garage

All I can think of is to look at cars that have power folding mirrors-change the door opening-buy a good carport . I kind of wonder what the OP is driving now and how it fits in the garage.

I’m experienced with building construction and it would not be very hard to add a wider door as long as the building is wide enough to begin with. Even poured concrete or block wouldn’t be that much more of a problem.

All that has to be done is temporarily support the roof, remove the old door, replace the header with the width desired, and re-frame the door. Then have the new wider door installed.

Pretty simple if you find a contractor that is willing to just widen the door.
Like some repair shops, the contractor wants to have a job that is big enough to warrant sending a crew over and doing the work.
Be willing to spend a little extra for the smaller job to be profitable for the contractor.

There should be sufficient room, as you stated that the current door is only 87 inches.
Even a 10 foot wide garage can handle a 9 foot (104") door
Unless you are parking in a building that cars were not intended to be parked in period.

If the entire building is narrower than most, you may want the door offset. So the side you enter and exit the car has room, but the passenger side has little space between the wall and the car.

Another possibility. Many cars have…not power mirrors…but you can swing them inward by hand, and swinging them back out they return to your desired position.

You could just swing your drivers mirror in and get a little closer to that edge of the door. This would give you a little more clearance on the passenger side .

How wide is your building itself???

Yosemite

Mine has concrete about 1’ up from the garage floor except where the door is. I’d have to cut concrete to widen mine.

I’d also we worried about lateral stability on that wall… and would want to make certain that the header beam is sufficient to support the load for the desired span, and be sure it’s long enough to transfer the load down the studs at the desired location without creating a shear joint. And be sure you have enough stud there to support the load.

And… of course… be sure I’d be able to open the car door once I get it into the garage!

It can be done, but if you go that route be sure you get someone who knows what they’re doing. This is not something you want to cut corners on (pun unintentional).

All good points @“the same mountainbike” .

I’d hope that they would find a competent contractor to take a look and give them options.

Yosemite

Living in Mexico as I do, I perceive this as a problem that only rich people have. That statement may not make sense to those who have never lived in a Third World village.

Ha Ha

Living in San Francisco I can easily imagine a garage that couldn’t accommodate a wider door than that. Just walking down my street I could point out several. The lots here (almost everywhere in SF) are 25 feet wide. In many cases much of that width is taken up by the steps in to the front porch, usually quite wide if there are two or three flats in the building (common) and by a narrow passage along the side of the garage to the back yard. That leaves a very narrow garage door and no way to widen it The only reason drivers can get out of their cars is because the garage widens out beyond the front stairs.

@Barkydog - I think those mirrors will automatically fold at anything more then 20mph.

If the OP has a reasonably straight shot driving into the garage, they have plenty of room. I drive in with about 1" to spare on my driver’s side mirror, same when I back out, the rest takes care of itself.

My car is a very tight fit into my garage too. Allow me to pass on something I’ve done to make life easier.

With some visual care, I determined exactly where the left side of the car would align to the back wall in the rearview mirror when backing in. I then stuck a long strip of high-reflectivity safety tape vertically at that spot. I used high reflectivity tape so that the backup lights would light it up at night.

I also put a strip of neon pink safety tape horizontally on the right inside wall, determined exactly where the right side mirror would be aligned when in sufficiently for the garage door to close and when in completely, and marked these two spots with vertical magic marker lines. I back in until the right side mirror is between these two lines. When I have a full trunk to empty, I pull just past the spot where the garage door will clear. In winter I pull all the way in, to make it easier to get my snowblower out.

Now when I back in I use the references as targets. It makes backing into my garage much, much easier.

Yep, maybe parking techniques is a better way to handle it. The old rubber ball on a string hanging down or one on each side of the door might be a better way to handle it. There is enough room, you just have to get it right every time. I actually put a little mirror up so I can see exactly where my front tire is in relation to my concrete step in the garage after ruining one tire running into it. I have too much pride for the ball hanging down and wish I was more of an engineer to come up with an electronic light beam or something, but there are ways to deal with tight fits.

Garages are smaller these days. I would be able to park my 66 Fleetwood in the garage…but wouldn’t be able to close the garage door…and I’d have to egress the passenger side.

Mine was built in 1940… :smile:

Hee hee. I bought some wine today and they wanted to know if I was born before Clinton was president. I said I was born before Eisenhauer was president but don’t remember Truman. I guess they thought I was old enough. :smiley:

Bing: I was also was born when Truman had about 1 1/2 years left in office. A few years back I was getting my car filled with gas and purchasing beer at the convenience store. The young female clerk jokingly asked for ID. I flipped open my wallet and inquired if photos of my Grandchildren would be sufficient. She replied “absolutely”!

Actually, I’m getting really tired of the whole carding policies

In my opinion, it should be black and white . . . card everybody. And I mean everybody, even those who are obviously seniors. Or don’t card anybody.

I’m well into my 40s and I sometimes get extremely upset when I get carded at a restaurant when I’m with family and/or friends. I know darn well I look every bit as old, beaten down and tired as they do

I’m not sure when I got carded last time at a grocery store, but if I did, I might be tempted to say “Ring up everything but the beer. I’m not showing you any card.”

After awhile, it’s no longer cute, flattering, and/or amusing

If they jokingly ask for ID, as with @sgtrock21 . . . that’s one thing

But if they’re dead serious, and a blind man could see you’re not anywhere close to underage, then it’s just outrageous and insulting

We need to get back to cars . . .

Several years, a friend asked me to replace the mirror on her car. It actually did have the power folding mirrors, and she had broken one of them. I checked the prices and determined the power folding mirror was at least twice as expensive as the non-folding power mirror.

She always parked on the street, and never had to park in any tight spaces. Nevertheless, she opted for the power folding mirror. I believe she said it would look weird if only one mirror folded. I thought most people wouldn’t notice such things. Could also be she was worried they’d offer less money when it came time to trade in. Can’t imagine that would make much of a difference

I’m 77, and when I get carded at a supermarket, I just say “leave the beer/wine”. I refuse to show ID to prove I’m of legal age. Luckily this happens only at one chain (BJ) so I no longer buy beer/wine there.

In my opinion, it should be black and white . . . card everybody. And I mean everybody, even those who are obviously seniors. Or don't card anybody.

There’s a grocery store that started in Upstate NY that’s now moving into New England called Wegmans. They card EVERYONE. You could be 90 years old and the clerks grandmother…they still have to card you. The sale won’t go through unless the clerk either reads the barcode off the Id, or they type in the Id off the valid card (aka. Drivers License, Military Id…etc).

I don’t find it a inconvenience at all. If it keeps just one underage kid from buying alcohol…I’m all for it.