Install new GM Turnkey motor

Gentlemen,

I own a 1983 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale 1/2 ton pick up. This truck still has the original 305 c.i. motor and well, I feel that it is time to replace the engine…it is leaking oil and smokes.

I’ve been looking into a “GM turn-key package” the the prices do not seem too steep. I do not personally know any mechanics that can install this engine. I really hope that you guys will be able to please recommend a good mechanic in my area (Austin, Texas) that could do this job. Many thanks!!

I look forward to your reply.

Respectfully,

Paul

US Army-Retired

Are you close to Orange Texas? I know of a excellent engine builder in Orange,Quincey Purcell.

The type of engine will probably determine the complexity of the job.
Are you looking at something like another 305 or upgrade to a more common 350? Or is it gonna be a power house 454, 502, or 572?

I will be upgrading to the GM 350.

Thanks, Purcell.

I’m from Austin and Orange is a couple of hours drive. May I have his name and telephone number. Thanks for the reply. Happy 4’th!!

Paul

Good thinking; keep it simple to keep the cost down. The radiator will be big enough for the 350, and most accessories will fit.

Good luck with the “heart” transplant!

I haven’t had any contact with Quincey for about 5 years and I don’t have his number anymore. He built me a absolute perfect 330HP smallblock (steelcrank,forged pistons 1.92 cast iron heads, carb to oilpan $3200.00 with tax delivered)

Oldschool.

I know a transplant needs some components swapped from the old to the new, but aren’t the engine mounts going to be different?

Also, this truck being an '83, is the high energy ignition, etc, going to be a problem? This ‘turn key’ is a crate engine correct?

From what I know a 305 is a smaller bore but larger stroke 350 so externaly I can’t see a problem,parts may need to be changed but I can’t see why putting in a 350 in place of a 305 would not be a bolt up operation,no cutting or welding.

I put HEI on that 330hp 350 of mine and put it in a 65 GMC. HEI will not be a problem.

I took the OP’s use of “turnkey” to mean a crate motor but thats not what “turnkey” means. “Turnkey” refers to a completed project,all that’s left for you to do is turn the key.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been told by the Chevy parts department that this package is complete…all that is needed is just take out the old, and install the new. This engine comes with 99% GM parts, less a few minor accessories. Now, I just need to find a reputable mechanic who can do the job correctly.

I have no clue where to look or how to find one. I really do not want to take it to the dealership because I know that they will sock it to me real good, however, that will be my last resort.

Thank you sir, that clears a couple of things up.

Is this engine comming with a intake manifold installed? carb? can you run a carb? do you want to run a carb? emission check in TX?

OK, you want to get this done on the cheap, or is price no object?

If the former, I’d suggest finding a hole in the wall used car dealer (or two), and asking him who he has do his engine installations. He may even do them himself. All those guys have one or two mechanics who know their stuff, but work out of their house (or something) and can do it for half what a “real” shop will charge. It’s not that they don’t know what they’re doing. Then all you need to do is come up with an engine. The dealer may have some local suggestions, or you may want to go with a GM Goodwrench or Jasper rebuilt “crate engine” (so called because they come in a crate).

This just made me think of something.
Most collision repair shops should be able to do this kinda thing. I’m sure there’s been a few places that have redone whole front ends, including engine replacements.