Injector and induction service 60k mi

22 kia seltos LX.

Do I need this? How would I know I definitely need it? What symptoms would tell me it’s definitely time?

Who is recommending it and what all are they doing?

I know that Firestone offers a FST (fuel system cleaner) service per MAP (Motorist Assurance Plan) standards that is recommended every 15-20K miles or once a year…
Part one cleans the throttle body, part two is a cleaner that goes in the tank (not over the counter stuff) and part three looks like an IV drip that runs a cleaner through a intake vacuum port to (help) decarbonize the induction side of the engine (intake manifold, valves and pistons)…

Other shops offer the same thing or something similar to it…

It is a preventive maintenance though and not a repair…

1 Like

A dirty electronic throttle body can cause stalling at idle conditions.

That’s one sign you need the service.

But, instead of spending a $100 or more for this service, Seafoam makes a DIY kit that does the same thing…

Tester

Which engine do you have, 2.0 or 1.6 L? According to this the 2.0 is not direct injection and shouldn’t have carbon buildup problems. The 1.6 is (GDI), and could have buildup of carbon on the back of the valves.

2 Likes

By the time you have symptoms it’s past time to do this service. The symptoms would be hesitation on acceleration, poor idle (worse when cold or on startup), possibly black smoke from exhaust on hard acceleration and engine noise/pinging.

Based on my experience in the field, if I owned any direct injected Hyundai/Kia or VW/Audi I would do an induction system service every 30K miles.

For the techs here, this is a (poor quality) pic of the intake valves on a GM engine at 64K:

And here is a pic I took of a VW with 80K:

Wow, that’s ugly. I didn’t realize DI engine valves would gunk up to that extent.

Unfortunately Kia/Hyundai and VW/Audi are especially known for it.

1 Like

This is what I remember too. I’m 2.0.

Then I’d skip the dealer job, add some cleaner, and use Top Tier gas.

Not all DI engines do that. Toyota (and I think ford) gas a basically a hybrid system. Under extremely load it’s DI. But when just cruising it’s regular FI. This allows the gas (which has cleaners in it) to mix with the air and both pass through the valves which helps to keep them clean.

2 Likes

What cleaner and gas do you recommend?

What does the dealer job do that your suggestion might not?

Any “Top Tier” gas would be fine. Those brands meet a higher spec for detergents. I use Quick Trip just because it’s close and a bit cheaper I’ve used Techron treatment in the past. I use none now.

What they have is both direct injectors AND port injectors

1 Like

I agree with all of that, but if the OP’s Kia has Direct Injection, cleaner additives (whether added to the gas by the refiner, or poured into the tank by the car’s owner) won’t clean the “upper” part of the valves. Those additives will only clean the part of the valves that face into the combustion chamber.

Does the OP’s Kia have Direct Injection?
If so, periodic cleaning by a qualified mechanic is the only way to keep the valves functioning properly.

They said it has the 2.0 L engine, which I’ve read does not have direct injection.

1 Like

Okay… cool!
:+1:

1 Like

I appreciate your feedback. I didn’t think the 2L LX model is only the 1.6L turbo.

This is true for the 2l and the 1.6l turbo?

No, he was referring to the Toyota. The KIA 2.0 L has only port injection, the 1.6 L only direct injection.