Infiniti I30 1997 Model Check Engine Light

Hi,

Recently the check engine light went on and I took it to the dealer. My mechanic tells me that the purge control valve electrical connection to the engine is bad, there is no feedback. The valve and the canister are good. The entire electrical harness needs replacing, which would cost me close to $3000.00. Can you suggest any alternative

Find a good independent shop that specializes in electrical issues. They will repair the existing wiring, probably for less than 10% of the dealer’s estimate.

Good start but how about giving us more information. If we have the actual error codes (format: P1234) we can give better information. That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Thanks for the responses so far. I will get try to get the code in the next day or so and post it back. I did check with an independent shop and found that charges to troubleshoot and fix are more reasonable and go by the hour…

I got the codes for the check engine light, and there are four:

P0325 Knock Sensor
P0443 Purge Control Valve
P0450 ??
P0446 Vent Control Valve

I will appreciate any comments / help that you all may have.
Thanks much…

P0450 is Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch

Assuming that all of these problems happened at once, then the diagnosis that it is a wiring problem could be correct. Dealers generally replace wiring harnesses instead of hunting down the faults and repairing them. It’s what the factory teaches them to do. Independents will be willing and able to splice in new wires and connectors as needed. This should be much less expensive in both labor and materials.

Thank you very much for your advise and time. I did some more reading on the web based on your feedback. I will look for an independent shop to take care of this problem.

Happy Holidays.