1999 Lexus RX 300 check engine light on

I have a 1999 Lexus RX 300 with 60,000 miles, Recently with the check engine light on I took to the dealer for a replacement of charcoal canister. Well the check engine light came back on and off for a month. Finally I took to the dealer and they find out that possible sticking valve on fuel tank that might be a problem. Well after spend $600 for a canister now they want $700 for a valve on the fuel tank. Are they other problems that relates to the fail check engine light? This is my first SUV and I love this car. Please, I need some help.

The check engine light can come on for MANY reasons. When the light comes on, the computer stores a “trouble code.” The code(s) tell the mechanic where to look for a problem. Since this vehicle is far beyond its warranty coverage, you might be able to save some money by taking it to an independent mechanic rather than the Lexus dealer.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.