Inexplicable stalling

It only stalls when I’m decelerating [coming to a stop, or slowing down on an off ramp for instance] or when i’ve been idling at a stop light and then start to accelerate [this happens less often]. i’ve had the battery connections cleaned, the wires connected to the starter replaced, the electronics looked over, a new fuel filter put in and just had a new fuel pump put in this past february. i also ran a can of fuel injector cleaner and three tanks worth of high test to try and clean out the fuel injector but this car is STILL stalling. it stalls far more often in city driving, but i’m guessing this has something to do with the stopping and starting, unless it’s an exhaust problem? i’m totally clueless at this point. Oh yeah, it’s an automatic 1996 Mercury Villager.

If the Idle Air Control (IAC) and/or the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) have not been checked, that should be your next step.

ADDENDUM:

also, when you go over bumps & stuff, the overhead light flickers?may be unrelated, but it seems to happen more when the car is stalling more.

the car?s been looked over pretty thoroughly twice now, & nobody can find anything wrong with it.

If the Idle Air Control (IAC) and/or the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) have not been checked, that should be your next step.

not sure if that?s been checked?we?ll call the mechanic on monday & see if they already have. but?out of curiosity, how could the IAC or MAF [potentially] be responsible?

In that case, then it is more likely that a bad electrical connection is responsible for the stalling. Among other things, have the ignition switch checked.

okay, we?ll get that checked out?& report back with the results.

thanks for the tipper!