Induction service and direct injection

Re: Carbon removal treatment damaging turbo

No experience w/turbos myself so just a guess, but it seems like the turbo system is designed to handle air flow alone, and if you add a flammable substance (the cleaning agent) to its air flow, when it is compressed the mixture it could well ignite and that could create a lot of heat. Just compressing the air alone creates a good deal of heat, which is the reason for the intercooler. As long as the cleaning agent didn’t ignite upon compression, I don’t see it causing any trouble to the turbo workings beyond possible material incompatibilities.

George, you’ve made an excellent point and described it beautifully.
Which leaves the basic questions of whether induction system cleaning is needed or has any benefit for DI engines and whether a design has been created with a known weakness in the quest for 54 mpg CAFE ratings. It also leaves open the question of whether DI engines CAN be maintained without pulling the heads, which should NOT be a scheduled maintenance operation.

I guess time will tell.

1 Like

For the DI engines which don’t use a turbo, turbo damage isn’t an issue, so might as well try the induction cleaning. For the engines that do use a turbo, it’s perplexing what to do, to say the least.