Inducing an OBD II failure for an advanced English class

I thought I asked this once, last year with the two English students when I made a section on car computers. But, I sure didn’t write it down in my class materials. Mea culpa.

I have an advanced English student, 16 years old, and she has read 2 complete books in English. She also wants something on how cars work.Her dad runs tanker trucks for water deliveries and she sees him working on the motors at times. I have the materials already made, including OBD II basics.

What I need if I can get it is an easy way to induce an OBD II failure to give the MIL light, then read it with the scanner. But it’s worse than that. I need something easy to induce if such a thing exist.

But, also if possible something that might turn off the MIL after a couple trips without using the scanner reset.

Why? Because I think on the 2009 Sienna to get complete readiness on all monitors requires a certain time over 55 mph. We do have tail pipe verification twice a year.

And, to do that where I live could be a three hour round trip plus the over 55 driving. It is an hour and a half to the Mexico City - Vera Cruz high speed highway.

Any ideas? Or, am I missing something here on readiness?

Thanks for any possible help. I realize there may be no such thing, but thought I’d ask.

Let me clarify. I don’t actually need a two trip reset. I make a lot of trips and next smog check is in March. My concern is that 55 mph bit.

The easiest way to induce a MIL is to loosen your gas cap. You can then tighten it and the light will go out after a few drive cycles. Use your fancy new hydraulic jack and lift the front wheels and put on jack stands, Start it up and put it in gear and set your cruise control for 55 for as long as you need. You will have to look up the drive cycle info for your vehicle.

No offense meant, but wouldn’t it make more sense to create something for your students the subject of which they’ll be familiar with? You’re teaching advanced English, after all, not automotive technology.

I’m with Mr. Mountainbike , you are making this way too complicated for a 16 year old learning English . Boy or girl .

In both classes, the girls SPECIFICALLY requested what I have developed. And, I will make it clear, my normal policy, that anything they find boring or too hard, we stop as soon as they want to.

Another issue that may anger some of you, but 16 year old girls here are not the products of dumbed up schools. They are as smart as the high school girls back in the Fifties. And, they were very smart then.

And, when I ask kids here what their favorite class is, a high percentage of girls say MATH class. That really surprised me.

US girls could do it just as well if they were motivated and expected to do so.

As I said, this specific student has a dad who has a sort of trucking service and he spends a lot of time working on his vehicles. I am guessing she wants to know what he is doing out there. So, I need to add material on diesel motors.

Let me add another thing. I am here and have been teaching this girl English for around 3 years. Why do you assume I need to be told how to teach her, and that you are capable of telling me? I’d really like to know, with no intention of offending.

I incidentally a few hours ago went back through my materials, and I suspect most of you would have trouble with the programming stuff I taught another student when she was 12. She was so motivated that she was coming ten minutes early. C++ and Java and standard deviations and random numbers, stuff I used preparing for the CPA exam.

Let me make it clear. That girl was 12, and you worry about me exceeding the abilities of a 16 year old girl with OBD II? Hee, hee.

Personal motivation and teacher’s expectations affect kids’ capabilities. And, part of my classes, which are mostly girls, involves subtly working on their self-esteem. Girls are smart if no one de-motivates them. Their interests are often different than the interests of the common man, but intelligence is not the main factor.

@oldtimer Okay, if the evap will heal itself without a reset, I will try that. That is the sort of thing I wanted to know. I will go back and review the requirements to run the evap test to make sure I can do it. Thanks a lot.

A loose fuel cap will require two drive cycles to set a fault. Disconnecting the mass air flow sensor will set two faults immediately. This is on the air cleaner, easy to access.

I am able to set the emissions monitors on Toyota vehicles in 4 miles at 35 to 45 MPH. There is no need to drive 55 MPH, just keep a steady throttle at normal speeds for 4 miles.

I believe some children in Mexico have more desire to learn than most local children from my experience. I see no reason not to expand into the automotive field, they have vehicles in Mexico.

1 Like

Pull a plug wire?

Fair enough. Had I been aware of that, I never would have asked the question.

It bothers me greatly that our schools have been transformed into brainwashing machines rather than educational systems. The fact that students there are better educated and more knowledgeable than ours is not a reflection on their success, but rather on our failures.

Most of our primary and secondary schools provide the opportunity for real learning for those students that are self-motivated, but also allow those who aren’t to simply float through while learning very little. I could go on and on about the failures of our system, and offer endless examples from my years at the college, but this being a car forum I’ll refrain.

1 Like

Good postings. Thanks ever so much. Note that on my Sienna to pull a plug wire, well, they have coil on plug way down inside there somewhere. Otherwise, that would have been the perfect solution.

I’ll look into that air filter connection, thanks. i wondered about that for a quick fail.

Some day, I hope to find a really good book on OBD II. At present, I have to do a lot of digging to get a little information.

In spite of the ambition to learn in Mexico, there is a cultural negative which causes them to not be competitive with the USA. I was the first person in my large high-tech division of a large corporation to work on microprocessors. There were no books; no community college courses. I made a training course, once I learned them myself, out of a couple pages of assembly language for the board test device.

All I had was the instruction set, at the machine language level, a print out at the assembly language level, and the block diagram for the microprocessor. It was what I call brute force learning. The first three days, I did not understand one thing. The next day, a full 8 hour day, one thing. The next 2, and so on up.

Every day other techs would come by and ask me what I had learned that day, AND I WOULD TELL THEM. In fact, I was happy to tell them. I love to teach. I was “top gun” on microprocessors for five years, then I got bored.

Here in Mexico, no one teaches anyone anything, outside of school, without getting paid. And, you can be sure they teach very slowly.

In our company, a group of techs or engineers, as one person would learn something new, he would quickly tell the others. Another person would learn something and would share with everyone. New technical people after five years of this were world class. That simply does not happen in Mexico. So, one person only will know what he/she figured out alone.

Some years ago, the admin guy at a local school in this village let me use the Internet before I got my own. I came back from the States, and he and his wife were down in the dumps. She had received her diploma in Computer Science or programming, I don’t remember. And, had done a two year internship. Now she needed to write a thesis program to get her license. When her tutor told her what he wanted, she thought, “Hey, I can crank that out in an hour.” Then he added, “Do it for Linux.” They were depressed because they didn’t have the money to pay someone to teach her Linux.

I told them, “I know Linux. I will teach you.”

The husband asked, “How much are you going to charge.” I said, “Nothing.” He looked doubtful.

Four days, each day four hours, I talked Linux, slowed only by problems with English/Spanish. She would ask a question once in a while, but I never had to repeat anything. One of the most intelligent women I have ever known and I have known a lot of very intelligent women in my life.

After that 16 hours, she said, “That’s enough. I got it.”

Her husband said, “Seriously, how much are you going to charge?”

I said, “As I told you, nothing.”

He said, “Nothing in Mexico is free.”

I said, “My classes are free.”

I have friends for life. She did her program and got her license in a fairly short time.

A few years ago, I was told there were no mechanic schools in Mexico, except by the car makers. Now, our local technology school has a mechanics course. I know nothing about it, though.

Had her first class. Her mom comes along, pretends to keep her daughter company, but clearly wants to learn, too. We only got as far as basic carburetor theory today.

I asked her if she knew what a spark plug was. And, she said, yes, her dad sometimes brings them from his water tanker. Which is a diesel. Upon further discussion, she realized the spark plugs come from the small motor which operates the water pump to unload the tanker.

They are both really interested. But, our classes are fun. I am a bit of a joker and they respond in equal terms. IMO, a class with laughter is much more interesting than a boring class.

Pull any sensor under the hood and that should cause a fail.

In my experience, that has not been the case, as far as companies go

That one person that was supposed to show other people the new technology, invariably sits on it, without letting anybody else “in on it” . . . probably in part to make himself indispensable

And to tell you the truth, not everybody learns the same way

Some people will only effectively learn in a classroom

Some will learn best if they patiently read the material on their own time, and figure it out

Some learn best by “doing it in the field”

And some actually are capable of learning, if that coworker that went to the class shows/demonstrates how it’s done

As for me, classroom learning is so-so. The books and notes are fine, but the actual knowledge doesn’t really sink in, until I’ve read the stuff on my own time, and had some hands-on experience in “the real world”

2 Likes

I think I agree with what you said. When we shared with out team members or fellow employees, not all learned instantly. But, the information was there when they were ready to use it. And, over time it got passed on to the majority who wanted to learn.

Were there “idiots”? Absolutely, but over all the techs moved up over time to a very high level. The few who didn’t got plush jobs [sarcasm] like matching brilliance of high-rel military light bulbs at the rate of thousands per day or some such numskull job that every installation has, and it is cruel to put a rational person on such jobs. :smiley:

The weak link were the management dunces. Some pathetic supervisors would raise a fuss if they saw one tech passing on information to others. “You are supposed to be working, not talking.” But at the level of technology of our products, we had to share what we learned.