Increase nightime vision

I would like to improve my night time vision.

Car manufacturers seem to think that cars need “aircraft landing lights” on their cars.

I use some yellow glasses to improve my night vision, but they were fairly cheap.

I welcome comments from those who have used night time glasses.

I simply just try not to drive at night and if I do, I try to stay close to home and or areas I know very well…

2 Likes

After I became good at Missile Command I could really notice things at night. The difficult parts of the game had similar colors for everything. Violet, purple, lavender, blue and magenta all on the same screen could train your eyes to a high degree. I recommend video games to anyone who wants better night vision. You will ask questions like “How did I know that was there without really seeing it?”

I’m an owl when it comes to driving. I prefer night driving over daylight by far. I can be seen using my sunglasses well after sunset while driving.

I was blessed by God with super night vision.

Dave gave a great suggestion. If you have trouble driving at nights, it’s best to drive in your area and, if possible, avoid driving at nights.

If your car has auto-high beam, use it. Most modern cars today come equipped with this feature to enhance night driving safety. However, I disabled mine on my car as I don’t like bright lights or bright environment.

The yellow glasses you mentioned are the only device I heard of that helps improve night vision.

Another suggestion I’d like to make is find out what is causing your night vision to be poor. Cataract, macular degeneration and other eye diseases may be possible culprits.

Keep your windows meticulously clean, inside and out. Same for your headlamps.

2 Likes

My suggestion: demand and vote for outlawing the extreme headlights that some cars have installed these days. Combine one of these cars with an oncoming driver with cataracts and it is disaster time.

Beat me to it. Same goes for any glasses one wears. But I’m wondering if an appointment with the OP’s eye doctor is in order. Cataracts are a common cause of night vision problems, and can be corrected.

1 Like

I don’t do anything special when driving at night myself, but on prior ski trips yellow lenses seemed to help me see the snow’s surface bumps better when skiing in low-light conditions. Now I generally try to avoid driving at night. I’ve also noticed the trend towards brighter and brighter nearly blinding headlights from oncoming traffic.

The problem is not the headlights, it’s our regulations. We are decades behind Europe, where they have superbright LED headlights that are programmed to “locally dim” certain elements so oncoming drivers are not dazzled by superbright headlights. The advantage of this adaptive beam technology is every driver can have the benefit of maximum vision at night without causing vision problems for on coming drivers.

NHTSA has not approved adaptive beam headlights so what we have instead are superbright headlights that shine into the faces of oncoming drivers. It appears we are years away from NHTSA approving this technology that has been in use in Europe since 2006. This is an example of the US stubbornly sticking to old, outdated regulations and making it difficult to modernize a technology that would benefit everybody on the road with greater night safety and vision.

1 Like

The bigger problem is people that put LED or HID bulbs into housings that were not designed for them so that the light beam is no longer focused.

Or those that put off road lights on their vehicle.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree with you on this, but it’s certainly a valid argument. Around where I live it’s mostly people with modern cars and superbright headlights. The worst offenders are large pickups and SUV’s with their blazing sun illumination beaming out from five feet above the ground. It’s especially annoying when they decide to tailgate you and drown you in the glare of their headlights.

2 Likes

Are those European systems mandated or just available in certain models?

I got anti glare clear lenses, It was a small difference. Cataracts my big issue, 1 bad eye may get good eye taken care of in spring, eye doc wants to put it off as long as possible due to 5% chance I will end up legally blind.

Some Euro-cars have a headlight-aiming gadget to adjust for the car’s deviation from perfectly level. I wonder if new cars sold in the USA market have that feature?

Headlight auto leveling systems have been available for 25 years. Some have commented on the high cost of replacement headlamp assemblies, too many gadgets on modern cars.

I have seen old cars with an auto headlamp leveling system warning light on after a strut or shock replacement cause by someone disturbing a suspension height sensor.

Successful cataract surgeries occur in 99.5% of the time according to this reference. Specifics of your situation might increase the failure rate, but you might want a second opinion. If there are ophthalmologists at a Mayo Clinic might be an option if you haven’t talkedd to them yet.

1 Like

I think those are optional and not necessarily on basic models.

I’ve owned Mazdas with auto-leveling headlights since 2012. These headlights also turn to follow the path of the car to better illuminate the road. I have not had a headlight or sensor issue in 12 years.