In general, is it worth trying to maintain a vehicle that has more than 100,000 miles or are you better off with a newer car?

It’s a dumb question. My answer is to NEVER buy the new car if the old car is running perfectly well.

1 Like

I don’t see where I said that. I simply stated that dealer maintenance during the warranty period can be and mostly is more expansive than regular maintenance after a warranty expired. Dealership maintenance costs you your first born.

Completely disagree. The first 3 years/36K miles are much more intense than the following 36k miles.

Not sure where you get that idea. I don’t find that to be the case at all . Plus there will records in case of a warranty problem. Many brands include some service with purchase . Even my 2018 Ford Fiesta had the first oil and tire rotation free. The one I just had from the dealer was 51.00 .

1 Like

Last 2 cars we got free maintenance, oil changes and tire rotations for 2 years. bought new car for wife and extended warranty. Previous car was a windstar driven 11 years and instrumentation kept going whacky, estimated $2k for repairs. Older cars need work, a trans or engine problem can set you back 2 or 3 grand, so we just recently bought a used car, cpo 27k with 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. Previous car we leased for $200 a month, TCO van $218 a month over 11 years and no major expenses. Do you need reliability as a consideration? Do you do your own repairs? many facets to the question.

No it isn’t. I suggest you check your owners manual.

Oil changes are your biggest expense. They still need to be performed at the same maintenance cadence throughout the life of the vehicle. What other expenses are you paying for during the warranty period?

And as I stated you do NOT have to use the dealer for any preventative maintenance (oil changes). You can go to where ever you like. You don’t even have to use dealer items like oil filters or (heaven forbid) oil. Use what ever meets the same spec. Only requirement is to keep records.

Please show me what extra things you are paying for while vehicle is under warranty.

3 Likes

After 36,000 is when the more expensive items kick in, coolant and transmission fluid changes in particular. Up until then it’s oil changes, maybe an air filter.

1 Like

It is not such a dumb question, if you need to know in order to save a lot on insurance. It may be dumb to you because you do not have the know-how to answer. Of course your answer to the question posed by me, is not an answer that shows knowledge of what I am speaking of; it is merely an evasive move to escape the fact of not knowing. I would humbly advise that you ask others (but not insurance people), who may have done this maneuver to save money on new car insurance when having an additional but older car.

‘My answer is to NEVER buy the new car if the old car is running perfectly well.’

Again…your answer is your opinion. Won’t you allow for other opinions as well?
You have stated your opinion on the matter…and for you (and I am sure others)
you make a reasonable point. But I am sure that there are others who think along my
lines (wanting and waiting for the opportune time to purchase a good deal on a brand new car.
For those people, my opinion has validity…just as yours does for the people who think like you do.

Me thinks that is unlikely. :thinking:

4 Likes

There is a guy in New Hampshire that buys a new SUV every 8 to 10 years, then boasts that they are so reliable that after selling the vehicle, the next owner drove it for another 200,000 miles.

1 Like

Just another opinion my friend. Nothing more…nothing less. But always present in different minds of thought. Just as the people who have them, opinions should be respected. And I respect yours.

Believe it or not, I used to buy a new car every 2 years. And always kept an older car in garage for backup. I have toned down since to getting a new one every 5 years or so. My older cars sell quick at premium prices because I keep their maintenance up and timely. I want the buyer to have a sound and reliable car that he/she buys from me. After all, with all my car purchases, I get fantastic deals by knowing what I know. And regular upkeep on their maintenance is not expensive…when great deals and a great inexpensive mechanic is used. I do not lose…and the buyer wins; it is a win win.

The one thing that the buyer who drove the car for another 200,000 miles does not have: is a new/newer car (and more tech advanced with comforts to match) with far far less miles on it, that the guy in New Hamphire has.

I thought is was time to stop feeding the troll.

1 Like

Yes but he said to NEVER buy a new car if the old car is running perfectly well.

Feel free to do so but Mike will argue until the sun burns out.

2 Likes

I feel that this is the case. But I was at first trying to be respectfully kind in our differences of opinion. Now it is apparent that he needs to have his opinion reign supreme. I thought this was a site where opinions are duly noted and accepted…with help towards any OP welcomed for helpful information. If this is not such a platform, and it exists for attacks on others for exercise in belittling or attacking others…then maybe I have joined the wrong forum.

All this discussion has done for me is make me regret not having bought a used 1960 Checker Superba with 50,000 miles on the odometer back in 1964. There is a Checker in the Smithsonian that had traveled over 1 million miles. Had I purchased that car, I would still be driving it today. Those Continental Red Seal flathead 6 engines would go forever. With its jump seats, I could get all my music friends in the Checker. I think of all the money I would have saved if I had only bought that Checker.
The original owner of the Checker was the university where I was earning my masters degree. Apparently, nobody liked driving the Checker, so it was traded in at the Ford agency and was being sold as a used car.

Of course you can have an opinion…but you’re trying to pass your opinion off as FACTS. They are NOT. Do what you want. But you won’t save money by buying a NEW car.

First off my whole argument is that you won’t save money by buying a new car if you have a perfectly good running vehicle. Woodbury says you will. I’ve only had one other vehicle that lasted 200k miles past when I no longer drove it. And most of those miles were drive by my daughter. So it was well in the family. Only reason my wife got rid of her 96 Accord and bought a new 07 Lexus was because she was going to loose about $30k in stock options if she didn’t exercise them that year. We also gave that car to our niece who had just started college. She drove it for all 4 years of college and then bought a new Civic when she graduated and got a job. I admit I probably could have saved money by keeping my vehicles longer. But it doesn’t take away from the FACT you don’t save money by buying a new vehicle if you have a perfectly good running older vehicle that meets your needs.

2 Likes

The key line is “if that vehicle meets your needs”. I have known over the road salesmen who trade in cars that are running well. They write depreciation off their taxes. They trade the cars before new tires or batteries are needed. For these people, time is money. I think today many people in this situation lease a car. When I was growing up, we had a neighbor who was an accountant. One of his clients was a Buick dealer. He drove a new Buick every year. He was on the road a lot taking care of his clients. The client who was the Buick dealer gave him great deals to trade.
I have known successful real estate agents who trade in cars that are running well because a new car makes them appear successful. This makes money for them to have a new car to drive clients around to see houses.

There are many valid reasons why people buy new cars when they have a perfectly good running vehicle. Each person has their own priority. But to say you’re saving money to buy a new vehicle is NOT an opinion. It’s a fallacy.

People buy new vehicles because they need a bigger vehicle, or they no longer need that pickup, or they got tired of the ride…etc…etc. What ever the reason - fine…It’s their money.

My wife and I make enough money to buy new vehicles every 2 years if we wanted to. A vehicle purchase is your second largest purchase (next to a home) people make. Why not get as much out of it as you can. My wife’s 07 Lexus has about 250k miles on it. Runs perfectly. No rust. Just PM. She has no desire to buy a new car any time soon.

1 Like

I support Mike on this and this “opinion” can be easily backed by the “facts”…

The next passage from Rick actually sounds like a fairy tale:

@Rick-Woodbury, do you care to bring up some facts like year/make/model and numbers?

3 Likes

Guys…guys…guys? You are missing the OP’s cognitive connection. Like so often with people who do not grasp the entire gist of things, you need to revisit the start o the OP’s post. The OP was just asking opinions (and maybe some advance) on whether he/she should buy a good used car with 100,000 miles on it, or opt to buy a new car. Whereupon I gave my opinion to opt for a new car and why. Many chimed in to say that the new car would incur a lot of unnecessary costs and expenses that would be a burden if a new car was purchased…like cost of new car, car insurance, etc. Those are the arguments I addressed for the ones who are considering and waiting to buy a new car at the right time.

For those that want to keep their old car that is running perfectly…fine…and of course my tips are not for them or the OP. I was merely addressing those ones who are indeed opting and looking for the right time to buy a new car. My whole gist for those people is that it does not have to be an expensive journey as one might be concerned with. That is when a gave factual advice/tips on how to save money on the rock bottom purchase price of a new car purchase and also how I save on the new car insurance…when insuring the new car and older car together. And if your argument is with the latter, i.e., saving more on combined new and old car insurance vs just the new car alone…then I can understand your argument. But I do this and have done it for many years quite effectively. Note: I have queried MikeinNH on the How-to on this. Apparently he does not know the How-to. That However, does not mean it is not a fact or cannot be done. Like I said, you have to know how to do it. I am sure that there are many savvy drivers around who do this with certain insurance companies. Ask around (not insurance people), and you may discover that it is a factual thing done by many.

Again, my friends, I have never implied at any time…the foolish notion that buying a new car is cheaper than keeping a perfectly good running car. I distinctly stated that for those opting and waiting for a good time to buy a new car…here are some saving money saving tips. And those savvy tips are very much factual and proven. One only needs to do their diligent research.