In general, is it worth trying to maintain a vehicle that has more than 100,000 miles or are you better off with a newer car?

If an increase in my annual expense budget of $200 were to cause me any concern, it would tell me that my life has been a total failure and I should just stick my head in the oven.

Of course…of course…of course, that is a given. But that little segment where I discussed using a ploy to save premium cost when insuring (say 2 cars) a new or newer car and a much older car…had to do with a small part of why/how I save money when having a new car and insuring both. Let’s not forget the main/gist of the OP. It had to do with keeping an older car with 100,000 mi. vs buying a new car. I first commented on why I would opt to buy a new car during this opportunistic time of the pandemic economic depression. Then I gave several reasons why the new car does not have to cost you an arm and a leg with insurance…if done right.

Let me try this on you for giggles of my own: Lets say that you owned both the 2005 Camry and the 2020 Camry cars mentioned in your comment. How would you insure both cars??? It is not a trick question. With some (I say most) car insurance companies, you can save a ton of money…depending on how it is done.

In my last response, I forgot to add this food for thought. By acquiring insurance for both cars in the manner that I utilize, I do pay less insurance for both cars…over just insuring the one lone new car. And no…I am not talking about a multi-car discount, if that’s what you are thinking. Even the multi-car discount will have you paying a ton on car insurance premium for both cars…if not utilizing the way I do it.

Oh gee, I can hardly wait to run out and buy a second car I don’t need and can’t afford just so I can save money on insurance… now where’s my flyswatter… :thinking:

3 Likes

@Marnet I tried to sell Mrs. Triedaq that we could save money in insurance if I could add a Mazda Miata to the two vehicles we already have. She didn’t go along with this plan.

1 Like

it was an old anecdote where son says to dad that he saved $1 because instead of taking bus and paying for the ticket he’s just ran behind it…
his dad says “fool! you should have ran behind a taxi!”

4 Likes

Oooooh, you’d enjoy a spin in the vintage Triumph two-seater roadster a cousin has. It was used as a racing machine in it’s early days before she owned it. She has fun taking it for fast runs on the highway and back roads and frequently taking it to car shows. She’s garnered a few car show trophies with it.

@Marnet. I would love to take a spin in a vintage Triumph. The Triumphs and MGs of the late 1950s through the 1960s really appealed to me. For me, when I was younger, I didn’t have the money to buy such a car. As I got to the point where I was ahead financially, I didn’t have the time to maintain one.
My dad did business with a small DeSoto/Plymouth dealer. When Chrysler dropped the DeSoto, this dealer had the franchise for English cars–Morris, MG, and also was the franchised dealer for Studebaker and Checker. When I graduated from college and needed to buy a car to go to graduate school, my dad and I were at the dealer. My dad was talking to the owner and I was looking at a used Porsche on the lot. The owner of the agency came over to me and told me that I really shouldn’t think about a Porsche. My stipend as a graduate teaching assistant paid $200.a month. He said the Porsche would cost more than $200 to keep running and then what would I do for money to.live. I realized that, but I often thought about his advice. If I had had the money, the best transportation deal would have been a Checker. These cars were built for taxicab service and some racked up over a million miles. Had I been able to buy one in 1962, I might still be driving it.

1 Like

If you bought a vintage British sports car now, you’d need a chiropractor on retainer!

1 Like

@old_mopar_guy. I’ve been keeping my Geezeritis under control by taking Geritol ®. Geritol was recommended by Lawence Welk and 9 out of 10 New York doctors (5 doctors of education and 4 doctors of divinity). The unpleasant effect of Geritol is that I have the overwhelming urge to take up the accordion.

1 Like

I think Mrs. Triedaq must give you lots of really good vitamins. You’re 9 years older than I am, and twice as active.

@Triedaq The three times I’ve bought cars I confess to having test driven some fun but impractical for my needs cars and some that would have been very nice to have but were beyond my budget. Any vehicle purchase involves some compromises, at least for the most of us who aren’t financially limited in choice. Each time I made reasonable compromises that stayed within my means.

As to my wishbone, let’s just say I like low end torque that has no hesitation giddy up and go. If I ever drive a Tesla I best have money set aside for traffic court despite having had only one speeding ticket in 45 years of driving. :grin:

There are many people that can afford to buy a new car every ten years and can afford to own two cars. Many people that buy new cars already own a car but they let the old car go for 10% of what they paid for it (these are the vehicles that I buy). Keeping the second car is not a major expense, I have owned at least two cars for the last 30 years. If it were a hardship, perhaps the new car purchase is not in their budget.

So what…It will cost you MORE…Buying a new car when you already have a good running car is financially foolish. If you really had a degree in Math you could figure that out. I learned how to calculate that in High-school math.

2 Likes

I do not lie about such matters. And I do take exception to you inferring that I am a liar. Like said in prior posts, we all have our opinions. But there is no need to get testy, if your opinion happens to not be in agreement with mine. I stated my opinion on the OP, and reasons why. Many posts gave reasons why a new car may be unnecessarily expensive…when a good old running car may be sufficient. I addressed some of those reasons such as a new car being too costly or car insurance premium being too high with the new car.

As far as buying a new car, I specifically stated that there is no better time to buy a new car than right now (2021 new cars). And gave reasons why…if (If being the operative word) you are looking for the right time to buy a new car. IMO, you do not want to have a car so old, that you are not able to enjoy all the tech in new/newer cars that can make driving more comfortable and easier.

And in regards to ones claiming that insurance would be a high price killer on a new car: I stated that this does not have to be the case…if done right. BTW, you have not answered the insurance question that I posed to you.

We can have civil and respectful disagreements…can we not?

Yes, it is worth it, if the car is in decent condition and you have it independently looked over by your own mechanic before you purchase the car.

Maintaining a new car during its warranty period is many times more expansive than the maintenance during the subsequent equal number of miles after the warranty period. Simply because you are forced to do the maintenance to keep the warranty active. And dealer maintenance is not cheap these days, but you might get a cup of “Keurig” coffee while waiting.

1 Like

And I responded with “IF YOU NEED ONE”. Which you went on and argued against.

Point I’m making is you don’t NEED a degree in Mathematics to do 8th grade math. I don’t have my BS in math…It’s in Computer Science. My Masters is in Applied Mathematics. None of it was needed to calculate the cost of buying a new car.

So after the warranty period you’re NOT doing the same maintenance?

#1 - You do NOT have to go to the dealer for maintenance. Any mechanic can do the maintenance for you or you can do it yourself (which is what I do).

#2 - You still want to perform the same maintenance on a vehicle that’s outlined in the owners manual.

#3 - Maintenance after the warranty will be MORE expensive due to the fact that other services need to be performed that were too soon when under warranty.
. Tranny Fluid Change.
. Brake Fluid Flush.
. Radiator Flush.
. Brakes.
. Battery.
. Tires.

But still far far cheaper then buying a new vehicle.

2 Likes

And I addressed that by saying, for those on the lookout for the right time to buy a new…here are some tips; which I submitted to ones interested. Such persons, if looking, would consider themselves needing one. Perhaps our definitions of ‘needing one’ differs. That’s okay…like said, we all have our opinions.

‘Point I’m making is you don’t NEED a degree in Mathematics to do 8th grade math. I don’t have my BS in math…It’s in Computer Science. My Masters is in Applied Mathematics. None of it was needed to calculate the cost of buying a new car.’

I have taken Masters courses in Applied Mathematics. My dual major was Mathematics and Secondary Education…also took numerous Computer Science courses. I was not referring to those academics in purchasing any car, let alone a new car. I was speaking primarily about the savvy in purchasing that new car, and insuring it, to save a ton of money. Research on How-to is the key to that…not math necessarily.

BTW, you never did answer the question of how you would insure 2 cars (one new and one very very old) that would be cheaper than insuring just the new car. Care to answer?

Time to stop feeding the Troll ! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes