In general, is it worth trying to maintain a vehicle that has more than 100,000 miles or are you better off with a newer car?

I was not referring to a specific shop. From where does the shop that installed the engine in your car source their engines and transmissions? Is it not the Japanese Domestic Market?

I made no mention of the occupational title of the people working on your on your vehicles, I was curious of the life span of a Nissan with a used engine installed. Pass it on to someone else asap seems reasonable.

I was not referring to a specific shop. From where does the shop that installed the engine in your car source their engines and transmissions? Is it not the J apanese D omestic M arket?

Not quite the same as I indicated many times. For one, they do not deliver the part to you or any shop; therefore no high cost of transportation is incurred by the transportation destination place. You simply drop off your vehicle to have the installment, and pick up tested and ready a few days later. The wait time is due to so many cars being done before yours.

My car had a lot of miles on it. The replacement engine/trans had less than 40,000 miles (as required), and ran like a brand new Nissan. I am confident that it would have lasted many many more miles and years, if I had not sold it to get cash for a new car. Note: The reason the car needed the eng and trans replacement, is because of loaning it to a negligent roommate for a long stretch of time. This roommate never took care in attending to the basic care of the car. A routine valve cover gasket replacement (which he did not do) led to water in the radiator and engine. Trans followed from his like of basic care. Needless to say, I never loaned him a car again…not even for a short while. I had another (my main ) car that I was driving at the time. So I was doing him a favor.

Sorry, I mistook you for someone else regarding the labor force.

That only applies if you need a vehicle. If you own a good running vehicle, then buying a new vehicle because it’s on sale is foolish.

3 Likes

Foolish for you maybe. But not everyone thinks like you. And of course, not everyone thinks like me. But for those who thinks along my lines: I usually own 2 cars. One is usually the newest/latest and the other is much older. Either one can serve as a backup for repairs or emergency substitutes for the other…hence the reason for always having a second reliable car on hand. And also, if you are savvy enough on acquiring the lowest car insurance premium…two cars (one being much much older) can actually save you more than getting insurance on the 1 new car. And that is also the reason why I keep an older car along with my newer car. However, the latter is a discussion for another day.

Getting back to ones who think along my lines: I (and I am sure many others) am (are) always looking to upgrade or replace their latest car with something newer to avoid it becoming too old or outdated. The world is advancing so rapidly in technology, that it is the mandate to take/enjoy the benefits from… in buying the latest

Post # 126 — I don’t know who is less qualified to give vehicle purchase advice , Rick Woodbury or bcohen2010 . It may be a tie.

5 Likes

@VOLVO_V70. Neither Woodbury nor bcohen2010 have that distinction. I hold the prize for being the least qualified person on the planet for giving vehicle purchasing advice.

2 Likes

No, you are not!
On your recommendation, I am still seeking a '57 or '58 Studebaker Scotsman, as I am convinced that it would be an ideal car for me.
:wink:

2 Likes

@VDCdriver. If you need two cars, the Studebaker Scotsman should be your good car and your second car should be a King Midget or a Crosley.

2 Likes

And let us not forget the Henry J.

2 Likes

If getting the latest technology thrills you -GREAT. But if you think you’re saving money…you need to take remedial math classes.

@old_mopar_guy. I have actually ridden in a Henry J and a Crosley. Both of these cars made a Studebaker Scotsman seem like a luxury vehicle.

1 Like

@MikeInNH. I have always wanted the latest technology, but I never wanted to pay the price. I think it would be great to own a Tesla, but it doesn’t have the capacity to carry my fellow musicians and their instruments. Therefore, I need a minivan. I thought the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan would be an advancement in technology over the 2011 Toyota Sienna, but decided on a 2017 Toyota Sienna instead.
New technology is wonderful if someone else tests it out first.

I too like tech…I’m willing to pay for it if it’s beneficial. But that still doesn’t mean it’s financially the best thing to do.

@MikeInNH. It seems to me that there has to be a shakedown of new technology before the bugs are worked out. I remember when the automatic clothes washing machine was considered new technology. I had an aunt who back in the 1940s had a Bendix automatic washer. It was a front loader and wasn’t the most reliable piece of equipment. By the time my mother bought an automatic washer, it was a top loader and was trouble free for 13 years. Now the latest technology in washers is a front loader and I hear these machines have problems.
I did try a battery powered lawnmower. I bought it from a friend who decided to hire her lawn mowed. I had to replace the batteries at the end of the first season. The new batteries cost $65. The new batteries lasted only two years. I bought another set of batteries, mowed for ten minutes and the mower quit. The controller board burned out and the part is no longer made. I donated the mower to Goodwill. I decided I could buy a lot of gasoline for the cost of the batteries. I realize that new battery mowers use a lithium ion battery rather than a sealed lead acid battery, do maybe the new ones are better.
I know that the Toyota Sienna isn’t the latest technology, but it is reliable. That was one consideration for buying a Sienna instead of a Pacifica Hybrid. I sold my 2011 Sienna to my son and it now has 150,000 miles and has proven reliable. My son also has the 2006 Chevrolet Uplander I owned before the 2011 Sienna. In his experience and mine, it is worth maintaining a vehicle after 100,000 miles instead of buying a new one.

For all ones to know, I have obtained a degree in mathematics…as well as a teaching credential in Secondary Education (H.S.). The saving money ploy I was referring to, had to do specifically with the maneuver of saving money on your total car insurance premium. I also said it was a discussion for another day. If you want to know the details on how that is done…I will be glad to explain it to you. Maybe you too can save a lot of premium on car insurance if you have 1 expensive new car and 1 non-expensive old car. Ask around to see how it is done…but I would not recommend asking the car insurance people. And be advised not to ask the ones you are considering buying car insurance from. But you will save on those premiums automatically following my detailed outline.

When I spoke of new technology, it was pertaining to that new car bought which eventually will start to get old in the tooth. Not any new tech, but things you own or like or are considering buying. For example, I love and respect the Hyundai cars. I think they are easily one of the best buys on the market in every which way. In Australia, the accents (my old car) have taken the #1 spot in sales over the Toyota sub compact. J.D. Power has rated the Sonata (my new car) as the best quality and safest cars to buy for the money compared to all cars. So needless to say, I love Hyundai cars (please resist on starting a debate on best car here). Therefore, I am always interested in what the newer Hyundai cars have to offer…and also is it the right time to buy a newer, better, and improved model at a great deal of a price.

Insurance rates go UP for new cars…not DOWN. Premiums are higher because the cost to repair is higher. There are some new technologies that will cause a decrease in premiums…but as I stated…trading in a good running vehicle that’s only a few years old to a newer version of the same vehicle is NOT going to lower insurance premiums. At best they’ll be the same.

For giggles I decided to get a quote on two different cars…

2015 Camry LE and a 2020 Camry LE. 2020 Camry was about $75 HIGHER every 6 months.

Then I repeated it for a 2005 Camry and a 2020 Camry. 2020 Camry was easily $100 higher every 6 months.

3 Likes

I like tech too. I was looking forward to buying a car with steering assist. But when I test drove them, I soon got annoyed with the butt cheek vibrators and bells and beeps and warming lights, etc. I had to turn all this stuff off to finish the test drive. I went and found a car with the least amount of these features I could. I probably would like rain sense wipers and pacing cruise control, but I couldn’t find them without the others. Still got stuck with that auto start crap though.

In addition, the replacement cost is higher. The insurer will total a 2005 a lot sooner than a 2020.

2 Likes

So you’re talking about an increase of $150-$20 per year. That is de-minimus.

I would hardly call an increase of $150 to 200 per year “de-minimus”. That is more than the annual amortized cost of having a timing belt replaced, or buying new tires, or doing any of the countless other maintenance procedures which cost many hundreds to $1000. Even if you make a 6-figure income, and could comfortably blow hundreds of dollars on a night out, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s still a significant amount of money to most people.