Impala 2004 damaged connecting rod

I have an Impala 2004 with 136,000 miles that has a damaged connecting rod. I have received a quote of $3500 to replace the engine with a remanufactured one. The body of the car is still good. I need help deciding if it is worth repairing or not.
Thanks

136,000 miles? The only thing I would ask is, has the vehicle had the transmission fluid serviced at regular intervals? If not, and the tranny fluid is dark, you could spend $3500 for a replacement engine only to have the transmission fail a short time later.

Tester

U want to keep it? Fix it, sell it? 3.8 motor or 3.4? Usually a used 3.8 is $1k and install is 500 or so. Lots of shops cater to the GM crowd.

If you want to keep the car for at least another 5 to 6 years then I would think it would be worth the money to fix it. You can get the value out of the repair by keeping it that long. If you don’t intend to keep it for that long then it may be better to sell it for what you can get for it and move on.

Boy at the prices I keep seeing on here for motor replacements, I think its time to open a shop that does nothing but that. All the shops I deal with get $250-$1000 for a motor swap. There are very few motors that sell used for over $1000 around here. I just looked at a 4.0L 6cyl for a Jeep with 40K on it for $350.

I would first shop around for a better deal. Then I would do it. $2k-$3K wont replace what you have.

$350 for a good used engine? $500 to install an engine? Keep dreaming guys…

First I would want to know why you have a bent connecting rod. I suspect that your Impala has the 3.8 engine, and that your connecting rod is bent because coolant entered a cylinder, from a melted passage in the upper intake manifold. These engines have exhaust that runs adjacent to coolant in the plastic intake manifold. The hot exhaust eats away at the plastic, causes a coolant leak and lets coolant get in the engine where it shouldn’t.

If you’re happy with the car, know the history of it and all maintenance is up to date it should be worth it to fix. $3500 for a reman engine sounds about right. If in fact it is the 3.8 engine, specify that a new updated intake manifold be installed at the same time.

asemaster I can get them done any day of the week here for that. I just got quote for a 2000 Jeep with a 4.0L 6cyl . It came in at $300 if I got the motor and any parts and fluids needed. I would have bought the motor but it wont work in my Jeep.

The OP is installing a remanufactured engine.

Tester

Guys, you can’t compare a $1000 used engine to a $3500 remanned engine

One has unknown history, and the other is fresh and probably has a decent warranty.

I’m not sure if labor is included, though.

If I was planning on keeping the car, I’d go for the remanned engine.

If I was planning on selling the car soon, I’d go for a used engine.

@asemaster and @oldbodyman it all depends on the region you live in, and even the size of the city or town. I experience pricing near oldbodyman’s level. If I take a car just 50 miles west of here, where a three bedroom house can be rented for $225 a month, I can get engine swaps on FWD cars for $200 to $250. RWDs run $175 to $200.

Putting big money into an old (9.5 yr old vehicle) is always a tough call.

A quick look at kbb.com shows the trade-in value for your vehicle (with a good running engine) is less than $3500, even if it’s in excellent condition.

So after you spend $3500 for a remanned engine, your car will still have a trade-in value of less than $3500.

I’d combine Tester’s and db4690’s advice. If you know the transmission is OK (fluid changed) and you plan on keeping the car, then go for the remanned engine. Else you may want the least expensive used engine option.

The OP is CONSIDERING installing a remaned engine. Is asking for opinions.

The OP is CONSIDERING installing a remaned engine. Is asking for opinions.

Isn’t that what all the replies have been helping him with? If it isn’t, please advise.