Impaired Driving

First off let me say, I’m 70, I’m 5’8", and I’m 170lbs. If I have a beer I am not over the legal limit, but I know I’m impaired, I can feel the “buzz” so I do not drive even if I’ve had only one beer. No one else should take this as a challenge to their ability to drive with a drink or two in their system, This is me.

I have two vehicles that seem to attract attention, a 1985 Toyota Corolla, in excellent condition, quiet as a mouse, but as an '85, it does not have a back window, center brake light, and I get stopped at least once a month and the officer tells me they stopped me because my brake light is out, in spite of the fact that as they walk up to the car they can see there is no brake light in the back window…

After finding out it’s an '85, they apologize and tell me it’s in really nice shape and ask why I do not put Historical Plates on the car, it’s cheaper… I tell them, that it is really my wife’s car and like any woman who dyes their hair so they do not look old, my wife does not want historical plates on her car so it does not look “old…”

I also have a 1984 Ironhead Harley Sportster with 2" Porker Drag Pipes.

She’s LOUD, Really LOUD!!! And I often get stopped on her (Yeah, my bike is a “she…”). But it is really “decked” out (Look’n Good!!!). And the officer and I usually talke bikes for a few minutes and then I’m usually let go with just a “warning…” Also, it might be because I’m and “old fart…”

Now, I respect the police and I know their job is ridiculously dangerous so I am not going to give them any guff. However, if they had even a hint of a whiff of alcohol on my breath, do you think I would have gotten off so easily. The Toyota is a no-brainer, but the Harley probably would have raked up a dozen tickets in the last years…