I'm getting shocked in my car!

saturn
vue

#1

A few months ago the daytime running lights in my 2005 Saturn Vue stopped working and in early June a new DRL resistor and connector were installed at a GM dealership repair shop. Ever since, I have been getting shocked whenever I’m in the car and touch something metal outside. This happens at the drive-up ATM machine, drive-up mailbox, and even recently when taking my ticket from the machine to enter a parking garage. If my finger or knuckle just brushes the metal surface, I get a jolt through the finger and up my arm. Not pleasant! I’ve taken to getting out of the car and walking up to the ATM to avoid the shock. I called the shop after this happened a few times and was told EMPHATICALLY that it’s impossible that this is a problem with the car. Nothing else has changed.with what I wear or how I access the ATM (or mailbox or parking garage), I’m taking the car into them next week for other work and have asked that they check the electrical system, but I think I already know that I’m going to be told there is nothing wrong with the car and has nothing to do with the DRL work. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it possible that when replacing the DRL components, something was done incorrectly, creating some sort of “live” or ungrounded situation? This has got to stop!! Thanks for any thoughts/advice.


#2

The only trouble I have ever had was in winter, sounds like static electricity, something not typically associated in my mind with car mechanics, but seat and driver interaction. In desperation mode you could see if they still sell static strips or spray your car seat down with cling free or static guard or similar.


#3

Strange problem now days. 40 years ago it was common for vehicles to build up static electricity and shock us. Grounding straps attached to the frame and dragging on the earth usually solved this problem. I’m just guessing but would suspect a vehicle body ground is not grounding. when you are touching the vehicle body then touch something that is grounded you receive a shock. There is a local automotive electrics shop that has been in business since Ben Franklin flew the kite. I have used them several times with excellent results. If you have anything like this shop available they could probably solve your problem for little money. Dealerships and most general automotive independent shops may be glad to chase your sparks until you run out of money. If you check with dealerships and independent shops they may know of an excellent auto electrical shop. Best of luck.


#4

Something odd going on. Do you have HID headlights?


#5

Nope. Just standard headlights…originals, that came with the car.


#6

Is this something that might’ve been altered when the DRL components were installed? I’ve had the car since 2009 and never had such a problem until after that work was done.


#7

Take advantages of of this and open up a mobile shock treatment center.


#8

I’d have them go over the work they did with a fine tooth comb, it’s too much of a coincidence. Go with them on a test drive, let them get shocked.


#9

If memory serves me right, the resistor is mounted on to the frame of the car. Yes, I can imagine that incorrect mounting or a short in the resistor could cause you to get shocked. Do other people touching the car get shocked? Disconnect the resister for a day and see if it makes a difference.


#10

Good thinking! I will try to work that out.


#11

Yes, it is mounted on the frame, and that’s a great idea. Thank you!


#12

Do you get shocked if you shut the car off before touching the ATM? Do you get shocked each time you touch the ATM or only the first time?

You didn’t get new tires at about this time, did you?


#13

I tried your suggestion this morning, turning the engine off before touching the ATM…and I did NOT get shocked! I will also soon try your other suggestion of whether the shock occurs only once or multiple times. No…no new tires since last fall.