Ignition Problem

The car is a 1998 Nissan Maxima. As you well know a car’s interior in the summer is about 10 to 15 degrees more than the outside. When the outside temperature is 80 degrees or more I can’t readily start the car. I turn the key and nothing happens. Sometimes I put the switch into the “on” position wait about 20 to 30 seconds, turn the key again and the engine starts. I think I need an ignition switch. My question is why does this happen? What does the temperature of the car’s interior have to do with the poor operation of the switch? The interior of the car must be about 75 degrees or less for the car to start.

I think it has to do with your battery connections being oxidized or corrode and not making good contact. the temp affects this too. and after they heat up from the resistance caused by trying to start it, they make better contact and off you go.

this is often the case and you can t always tell by looking. my first choice in these situations is always to clean all battery connections and cable connectors in the starting circuit, including grounds

You can also shift into neutral and see if the car starts immediately. If it does…replace the neutral safety switch.

heat or lack thereof causes metals to change shape, either expanding or contracting.
this often causes electrical connections to act differently in different temps

My guess is the neutral switch is failing and to a lesser extent the possibility of a failing ignition switch.

The weather there must be balmier if the interior only gets 10-15 degrees warmer than the interior.
I keep an A/C thermometer stuck in the center vents of my car and on a 90 degree day here it will hit close to 140 with the windows up; about 120 with the windows cracked open.